Pride

"Well, that was anticlimactic," said Shockwave with a snort of laughter as he pushed Dom out of the way. "Why'd you go and do that for? Karina says you two were hooking up. I thought you'd treat your fuck buddies better than that."

Dom didn't turn to share his disappointment with his ex and he didn't set his focus upon Shockwave as the cocky Gifted approached Elaina's still and silent body. Instead, he looked to Misty, who was the only one among the Fortress team to show any sign of comprehension of what Dom just did.

"Shock," she said with cautionary hesitation. "I need you to hold still, something's not right."

"What? You sensing some anger from our guest? I'd be pissed too if my lover just kicked me over." Shockwave then turned to face Dom with a twisted smile on his lips. "You know, the point of torturing you was to provoke her into signing up with us to save you, but now I'm wondering if she'll just end up enjoying it. Of course, maybe that could also benefit us..."

"Shock," said Misty, demanding his attention.

"Well, this is an interesting power," muttered Vulcan with a mixture of awe and trepidation.

Shockwave's jaw clenched as he looked back at Elaina. Except there wasn't Elaina, there were Elainas. Dom scanned the mass of chairs, all toppled on the floor with their own version of Elaina strapped to them.

"The fuck?" muttered Shockwave. "Which is the original one? It was this one, wasn't it?"

"That's what I'm trying to tell you," said Misty as her superior walked towards one of the figures. "I'm not sure the original one we saw on the floor was even her. The second he kicked the chair over, my reading on her got distorted. She moved too fast and wherever she landed, well, I haven't been able to pinpoint it. I just need to... Wait, Shock!"

Despite Misty's efforts, the frustrated Gifted took it upon himself to kick the nearest Elaina, her body recoiling with the blow and the chair skidding across the floor, causing her to bump into several other clones.

"I felt myself make contact with her body. That one must be her." Certain of his assessment, he readied his aim with the air pulsating around him.

"It won't matter what it felt like," said Vulcan, who looked all around him as if any shadow might be the true Elaina. "She can deceive your mind into thinking you felt something collide with your foot. The only accurate way of knowing is if Misty can..."

Dom smiled. He had a new appreciation for Misty and Dr. Vulcan. They, at least, had decent heads on their shoulders, which was probably why they were relegated to guard duty while the rest of the team was off on a mission somewhere.

With that said, Shockwave unleashed a seismic blast that shook the floor and knocked everyone off their feet. The blow sent the pile of Elainas into the air as if they were leaves caught in the wind. Then, every single one popped like bubbles.