OLD VERSION Chapter 30

When I finally come to, I'm covered with a blanket and a pillow is stuffed under my neck. The water is running in the sink and I can hear Jack eating food out of his bowl from here. "So it wasn't a dream," I say, blinking a few times to wet my eyes. My mine feels like it's been stuffed with cotton, but whatever tranquilizer Henry gave me, it's wearing off.

"Sorry to disappoint." The water shuts off and Henry comes and leans on the table. He smiles down at me and I smile back.

"You have no idea, being here is like being handed a gift straight from God."

Henry chuckles. "You thirsty?"

"Yeah." I nod and he turns and fills up a glass. He puts a hand under my neck and helps me sit up, putting the glass to my lips I steadily let the water slip down my throat. When the water is gone I lie back down. My tongue doesn't feel so swollen. "Thanks."

"Anytime."

The house is silent. Jack finishes his found and licks any finger that happens to be draped over the edge of the table. I stare at the ceiling and Henry stares at the floor. "Where's Gretchen?"

"Hmm? Oh, she's gone on a little trip to her sisters for a few weeks."

"Good timing."

"I'll say."

Silence.

"I would have taken you upstairs to a bed but you're a bit too heavy for me to carry without some of your help."

"No, its fine, I'm not tired anyway. I feel that I should be, but I'm not."

Henry nods. Silence.

Jack whines from somewhere below me. I look at Henry. He's still staring at the floor, "Henry."

"Hmm?" He looks at me.

"You can say what's on your mind."

He folds his arms across his stomach and leans back against the counter. How long has it been since I've seen his face? Too long, and yet he hasn't seemed to age a day, while I feel that I've aged a decade. "You've changed," He says.

I nod. My throat is going dry. "Could you take me to the living room?" I ask.

"Sure." Henry helps me to my feet. I catch a glance of the sink. The water is red, I see his medical instruments soaking I the hot water. We slowly make our way to the living room, but surprisingly I'm not in as much pain as I thought I would be. It hurts, but I expected to pain to excruciating. Henry leans me up against the door frame.

"Wait here a second, I need to get a towel, I want to be sure you don't get any blood on the couch. You understand." I nod and he disappears upstairs, as he walks away I can't help but notice the small limp, and then I remember that he had a broken leg the last time I saw him. It feels so long ago, that night in the river. I close my eyes and shiver, things were simpler back then.

Henry comes back and lays the towel down and then lowers me down. It's a new couch, and Henry pulls a lever that allows the couch to recline. He pushes it back and pulls my feet up so I'm not sitting up too far to put a lot of strain on the wound. My t-shirt is ripped from were Henry cut it, and the bandage he taped over the wound is easily visible, I'm still bleeding, a small patch of red shows through the white bandage. Henry puts the pillow under my head and drapes the blanket over me. The room has changed from what I remember. The furniture is new and a TV is mounted on the wall over the fireplace.

While I look around the room Henry starts a fire and soon the warmth stretches out into the room. Henry sits down across from me and we both study each other's faces. "We can talk more comfortably this way," I tell him.