Same Page, Somehow Not

I make my way through the forest after the long day i have had. The trees loom overhead as I try to walk straight down the small rocky pathway. Either I am accidentally drunk or just tired. In the distance I see a gleaming light. Its closer than home and im sure whoever I pass out on wont care. As I get closer I see a familiar purple headed man with the joja hoodie. Its Shane.

I sit down next to him on the pier not noticing that I have dipped my feet straight into the water.

"Up late?" He asks not waiting for a response "The alchol keeps me awake, It makes me forget about my worries."

I have a lot of worries. I never like keeping secrets. Its better to be open. I need to tell someone. Would Shane care? Do I trust him?

"I used to drink. back when I was living in Zuzu city my parents were constantly arguing. Some times they would even resort to physical violence on household items and sometimes on eachother. I used to come to the farm and see my grandpa because I didn't feel safe. That's how him and i got close and I ended up with ownership of the farm." I confess. It feels great to have it said but I also feel stupid in the silence Shane gives me as a response. If he doesn't care then I might aswell carry on.

"Then Evan came and saved me. Me and him were so in love. Then he..." I pause

"He left? How can he leave someone like you?" he responds

Everything goes quiet and shane goes redder than the tomatos I brought this morning. Did he really just say that? I stare into the water. A scaley golden fish weaves its way inbetween my feet. As i could feel myself getting colder i stare away from him trying to hide a smile.

"Jas loves you Shane and I can tell this drinking is scaring her. She really looks up to you."

Shane thinks of a response. I was almost waiting for some crappy excuse. Before I could wait any longer I pick up the six pack of beer next to him and throw it as far as possible into the lake.

"What was that for?!" He looks mad but after a few seconds it turns into disopointment. Not at me but at himself.

"Shane, it wont be easy. You might relapse. I did many times but as long as you keep trying you are going to make it. Jas will be so proud of her uncle Shane and how hard he has worked." I nudge him. It wasn't my best move I'll be honest but it's better than nothing. Then i get up and I start to walk away.

"Thanks, im not used to someone caring about me. I just want to make Jas proud" He mutters.

"I know you will" I respond as I continue up the path home.