The Egg Festival

I stand in the mirror.

"I look a mess" I mutter

I am currently stood in a lacy white dress with purple stitching. Little lilac flowers carefully stitched around my waist. Emily did a good job. My hair had been tired up in a bun with a faw strands of hair free. I was really being forced to dress up to watch some kids go on a egg hunt. I stare down at my dainty ballet shoes. I used to wear them all the time when me and Evan used to go on dates. I finish applying the lip gloss I had been repeatedly applying then re applying for the last half a hour. I step away and give Emily a twirl.

"You look great! Lets go!" She responds and next thing I know shes rushing me out the door.

We arrive at the festival. The town is covered in all sorts of different decorations. Jas and Vincent are eagerly getting ready to look for foil wrapped chocolate eggs. Emily quickly makes her way over to Haley and Alex leaving me alone. I smile a little. I do feel like the odd one out but these festivals show how much of a community these people really are. It makes everything just that little bit better. Im just lucky they accept me here as one of them.

Out of the corner of my eye I see Shane entering the forest.

I ignore it. Why do I care? He doesn't even notice me. I make my way over to Emily who is talking to Alex who I had become really close to in the last couple of hours. Unlike his usual full of himself persona he looks me up and down and goes bright red.

"h-hey Natalie, you look great" he smiles trying his best to look away.

"Thanks, not so bad yourself" I smile. Someone gave me a compliment. It means a lot to me when they do.

Just as hes about to speak Lewis begins the egg festival. He calls out all the contestants as they line up. Jas looks over to me and waves at me. I wave back. She's so cute. From the corner of my eye i see Alex staring at me smiling. He looks at me the way Evan used to. Wait a second...I try to steer my mind off it. I must be overacting. Last minute i decide to join in with the hut which i then proceed to fair miserably at. At least it was fun and i enjoyed myself

Shortly after Jas comes running over

"Miss farmer!" She calls out "It's finally nice to meet you. Uncle shane hasn't stopped talking about you since you came!"

Shane has been talking about me?

"It's lovely to meet you too Jas. Run along now. Marnie is waiting!" She listens to what i say then runs away giving marnie a well needed hug.

I think for a second. I care that Shane has been speaking about me but why? Maybe i want to be his friend. Maybe i have feelings for him after all..