Warming up gifts.

The bell chimes as i step through the door.

"Morning Marnie." I chirp. "Have you got any feed for my animals?"

I've been in such a good mood since the dance. I am so glad to be back onto good terms with Shane. He pleasantly surprised me with how great of a dancer he is. He led me across the dance floor and took me into the most amazing twirls and spins. He claims its nothing and the bare minimum he could of done for me.

Typical Shane.

It was great though. He made me feel so comfortable taking part in this lovely town's traditions. After him and i headed back to the saloon for some drinks. I don't remember much but i do remember that Evan rang me and Shane picked up. He proceeded to drunkenly have a go at him. Or so I thought.

Shane said all these nice and kind things about me and i thought it was all due to the influence of alcohol but i was shocked when i went to pay the open tab to Gus. When presented with the bill i realised that all of the drinks that Shane had ordered were alcohol free. I hadn't seen him for so long that i forgot i had even had the conversation with him about drinking. I stupidly forgot he wanted to stop for Jas. I should of paid more attention which i do feel slightly bad for.

"Morning Nat! 50g a bundle. Take as many as you'd like." She responds in a as equally happy tone. "Was nice seeing you dancing with my Shane the other evening. Never seen him look so happy"

"Is he around? I have a gift" I question. Marnie points over to Shane's bedroom door which I make my way over to it. I knock twice.

"In" i hear from the other side of the door before i enter.

I stare blankly into the room. I live on a farm and this is more messy.

"Don't panic. The cans are alcohol free." He mutters. Shane is positioned across the room from me sat with his back against his bed. I sit next to him.

"Hey stranger." I beam.

"Freind." He responds.

We continue to sit in silence for a while. I eventually get sick of it.

I take a scrunched up old carrier bag out my back pocket and begin to collect up all the beer cans scattered across his floor and dispose of them inside. After gathering all the cans up i tie the back and place it in the doorway. I then proceed to pick up the half torn rug on the floor and sew it together with my emergency sewing kit.

"You need to take care of your living space aswell as yourself Shane"

He lets out a slight grin. "Your always wanting me to do me to do things arent you. It works"

"Still something" I comment back.

"Fair point" i hear from next to me.

I look around his room and my eyes fall onto his desk. Ontop of it is his computer which looks barely used and dusty. Also there is three photo frames on the side which are as equally as dusty. I pick one up. I look over at Shane who seems to be allowing the situation. He would stop me if i am going too far right? I wipe it until i can clearly see underneath. It seems to be be a photo of a young chip toothed shane with a baby in his arms as a adult couple stand behind him with huge grins .

"Parents?" I ask sitting down next to him still with the photo in my hand .

"Jas' parents. Not mine. " he responds.

"Can i ask what happened to them" i question.

I was not prepared for what happened next.

"Sure. Jas' parents were coming to visit shortly after i moved in with Marnie. Possibly the best day of my life. I finally had a place to be of my own that i could show to Jas and like you said she looks up to me and i was so happy that i could finally become a good role model. Jas' dad was a heavy drinker and the night they arrived her parents got into a huge fight and it ended with her dad leaving to go on a drive. He was quite obviously drunk so we begged him to stay but he... he didnt listen. The next day police were at the door explaining that his body had been found. As for her mum shortly after the incident she left Jas with Marnie and i then did a runner and we haven't seen her since" I can tell by the way he was speaking that he had wanted to get that out for a while now.

Without thinking i pull him into one of the most amazing hugs ive ever experienced. He's like a grizzly bear come to think about it

"You should get going." He sighs pulling himself out of the hug.

I say my goodbyes and get going. I make sure i leave a jar of chilli jam on the side for him

Maybe there is something afterall. Right?