7 | faith - mistakes were made pt. 2

8 freaking a.m.

Avoiding early morning classes as a STEM major is virtually impossible, and with the abundance of coffee aromas dominating the lecture hall with the occasional hint of blueberry from a muffin or pumpkin spice from a cake loaf, I'd say that ninety-nine point nine percent of Professor Hale's PHYS03 class despise crack-ass of dawn lectures.

The physics professor's voice booms throughout the small hall. "Welcome to our first lecture of the semester, everyone! I'm Professor Hale, my pronouns are she/her, and these are my TAs: Shreya and Sabrina; both of their pronouns are she/her. Before we begin with today's lesson, I have a special announcement to make."

"As most of you are aware, Wayfinder Technologies is a huge donor to Seaside University, so the founder and CEO has decided to continue the WTC this year--for four lucky students in this PHYS 03 course." She laughs nervously. "So, no pressure."

Yeah right. No pressure. It's only the entire school and our reputation on the line of whether we win or lose. The professor begins the slideshow by explaining all the expectations and ends it with the game teaser video. I slide my right earbud in my ear, hidden by my hair and work more on my prototype design for my thermodynamics lab.

So, nothing new.

———

During the last hour of class, Professor Hale clasps her hands together, bringing our attention back to her. "I have already chosen the group of four that will represent us throughout the Build and Competition season. I will call your names, and for today, the Hopper conference room is open for you to get acquainted with one another and maybe get started on preliminary ideas before coming back to the main lecture hall."

I wrangle my earbuds from my hair, careful not to pull on my curls too much. I need to get my ends trimmed soon.

FAITH: hey Tiff, are you available for our bi-weekly co-wash and trim?

My phone screen lights up not even a minute later.

TIFFANY: of course, girlie! wait, maybe not the usual time, though. I'll be just getting back from a set, and you know how I hate jet lag. does 2 pm on our regular Friday next week work for you?

FAITH: that works, but I'll be about ten minutes late. I have a lab before then.

TIFFANY: no problem, little bean. just shoot me a text then when you get here.

FAITH: will do.

"For this year's competition group, we have Aidan Brentwood, Hunter Brentwood, Marcus Petersen, and Faith Sommers!" the professor exclaims. "Congratulations, you four!"

My hand shoots up like a rocket. "Um, Professor Hale, do you mind repeating the names again?"

She tilts her head in confusion but nods anyway. "Miss Sommers, you're in a group with Mr. Petersen and the Brentwood brothers. I know it may be intimidating, but you're a top student, and I have complete faith in you."

A few students snicker at the name joke and I collapse back into my seat, wishing I was ice cream so I could melt away. Congratulations? Absolutely not. This isn't some game show where I found out that I answered the million-dollar question. No. It's more like the never-ending, drama-filled reality tv show that everyone is hooked on.

And the four of us are the main stars. A group with my guy best friend, someone who infuriates me to the core, and the volleyball star who's hell-bent on engineering a soft spot in my steel-lined heart just for him? Professor Hale threw a whole wrench into my life, and now I have to build a robot with it. With him. And I'm the only girl. Lovely.

So much for avoiding Aidan.

Six weeks to build a robot. Four weeks of competition.

Ten weeks to make sure I don't fall for the school's golden boy.

hunter

Well, this is going to be an interesting year.

I take a tentative seat next to her in the conference room. "Hey, Faith. I wanted to talk to you about Tuesday night and apologize about crashing on your bed, or what was your bed, as Ryanne told me in an angry fit that you...uh, Faith?" I snap my fingers in her face.

She meets my eyes and takes an earbud out. Of course, she wasn't listening.

Venom laces her voice. "What do you want, Hunter?"

I open my mouth but think better of it.

To be on good terms again.