17 | faith - getting into a rhythm

"You're early, Faye. You do know that your shift for this quarter doesn't start for a while, right?"

I emerge from the "Staff Only" closet, headphones resting on one arm and an amp in my other hand. "I just wanted to test out the new recording studio...and maybe de-stress a bit too."

My supervisor's dirty blond bangs make a little bump on the top of their ombre-streaked braided ponytail courtesy of their sunglasses. "Ah, I see. That's fine. You plan on writing too?" K follows me into the 90s-inspired studio and leans against the archway. I continue into the room on the other side of the lightly tinted glass, but they stay in the doorway, hands in their front pockets.

I sigh. "You know the talent show in place of the normal open mic was a one-time thing. I don't even know why my mother showed you that video."

"But--"

I cut them off. "But nothing. I was knee-deep in my feelings that fateful night during that open mic, and although I appreciated the sweet comments, I'm not really looking to become the next popular heartbreak artist right now. I very much prefer the rhythm compared to the melodies and harmonies."

They let out a defeated sigh. "I have to head out to get more supplies for tonight's open mic night and some kid's coming into the studio to do some voice work. I know you aren't on the clock yet, but do you mind getting it set up after your sesh? Clara was supposed to be here just over ten minutes ago, but you know how the traffic is. Also, don't worry. I'll add this to your normal hours."

"Sure, I don't mind. Around what time is ther person supposed to be here?"

K glances at the wall clock. "Around 3:30p.m."

3:03 p.m. Twenty-seven minutes should be enough time for a drum session.

"Thanks, Faya. I owe you big time."

I shrug it off. "Don't worry about it." I wink at them. "Loving the fem look today, by the way. You definitely make the cropped tee and leggings work."

Their grin is a mile long. "You have a great fashion sense."

As soon as the door closes, I put the studio headphones over my ears and swivel into the seat. Then, after setting my song of the day to the loudest volume level my eardrums can handle, I let myself go. The song kicks off with rapid guitar strumming and the chorus, and I start with the bass drum beat, setting the tempo like a metronome. Favoring the bass drum, floor tom, high tom, and snare for the verses along with the snare and hi-hat for the choruses, my voice carries through the preset microphone in front of me.

aidan

Is it possible for a girl to look sexy while playing a percussion instrument?

The OK ORCHESTRA tee with its sleeves cut out reveals a mountain range tattoo on her right bicep along with dark blue acid-washed jeans and grey Converse high tops that give off "casual-but-hot" musician-type vibes.

Disregarding the fact that I have a podcast episode to record within the hour time slot I called in for, I slip my bag off my shoulder and put on the headphones resting on the soundboard. Leaning my elbow onto the chair's armrest, it's my turn to just listen this time around, and naturally, I'm loving the sound that carries into my ears.

The bass drum hits every downbeat, and I'm tempted to join, especially with the electric guitar perched on the stand behind her.

faith

By the time the song is over, my hair is loose, free from the hair tie that once held it in a low ponytail, and I'm breathing heavier than usual.

Someone slow claps. "So, when are we starting a band?" I glance up to meet an athletically dressed Aidan on the other side of the glass, leaning against the wall with his classic side grin. I rest the sticks on the snare and stretch my arms upwards.