3 | faith - the first-floor debacle

Kaden yells my name, waving his hands in every which way like a plane marshaller.

      That dude. Ever so energetic.

      "Catch you at the top, Faye," Marcus winks, skating past me with ease and up the ramp in a fluid motion.

      "Show off," I mutter under my breath. I shorten my strides before skidding to a halt with the toe stops before I waddle like a duck up the slanted carpet.

I'm not even going to attempt to skate normally after what happened two weeks ago. I still have the scar on my elbow to prove it.

The shoulder muscles under Aidan's fitted navy tee stop moving mid-shoelace tie when he catches me staring, and I may as well have had my soul transfigured into a complete mess. I may only have looked at him for like two seconds, but a girl can pick up a lot in that short amount of time. Black, retro-style glasses sat upon his nose and ripped jeans matching the color of his frames reached perfectly over his shoes. Not a single lock of dark brown hair was out of place either.

      Nope. Remember your two-step plan. More specifically, part two of step two.

      No romantic relationships and definitely no falling in love.

Kaden calls my name again, not too far away, breaking me out of my trance. I shake my head and walk back to the table where Marcus and the others waited. I thought about what had just conspired as I took a seat next to my guy best friend, and I hoped that Aidan doesn't attend SSU cause then I'd be in a world full of trouble.

———

"Order 78! Dine-in order for number 78 is ready!" Sliding the deep-dish red trays carefully off the counter loaded with double-doubles and animal fries, we travel to a booth near the back of the dining area.

I update them about the RNC, also known as the roommate nightmare chronicles, but purposefully leave out the part with Marcus and his ex and Ryanne's...very opinionated comments.

      Kaden takes a swig of his root beer. "Well shit. She's definitely a handful."

      "I am amazed you haven't fought her yet. She seems like a real pain in the ass," Seth chimes in.

      "But what was failed to mention here is," Marcus emphasizes, "that it only took my best friend what," he checks the date on his Apple Watch, "three weeks for her to finally decide enough was enough, though?" he points out, a doubtful frown on his face.

      I cross my arms and lean into the cushioned backing of the seat, turning my torso towards him. "Says the person that still uses that so-called best friend because he can't tell his clingy ex to leave him alone."

      Kaden snickers, nearly choking on his fries.

      "She got you there, man," Seth mutters into his cup and quickly looks away, avoiding Marcus' hard stare. We high-five, and Marcus flips him off, which just makes him roar with laughter.

"Fine, fine, whatever. You may have a point." His arm reaches behind me, resting on the top of the booth. "Do you at least know what dorm hall you're moving to?" Marcus asks, trying to change the subject.

      "I'm still staying in the same hall, but just not sure what floor. I'm supposed to get more information about that later tonight."

      "Oh, phew. I thought I would have to walk up the hill to another building just to visit."

I purse my lips. "You're so dramatic, you know that?"

He squeezes my shoulder and ruffles my curls as if they're not already messy enough. I angrily pat it back down to a somewhat presentable look.