26 | faith: above the surface

"With a time just shy of the U.S. record, college junior Faith Sommers of the Seaside Owls has secured her third gold medal!"

Cheers increase in volume when I completely resurface and I make immediate contact with the ones who're praising the loudest: my parents and friends, but what surprised me the most was the handmade poster sign bouncing up and down over Aidan's head in his hands; when our eyes meet, his full grin sends warmth flowing through my body.

"You did amazing," he mouths.

I glance at the official stop clock. Two seconds. I missed the national record by two damn seconds. I turn back to him. "You think so?"

He rolls his eyes and gives me an annoyed look. "I know so."

Tugging my swim cap off, my curls fall everywhere, and I pull it into a messy ponytail, trying to keep it as dry as possible. As soon as I push myself out of the pool, arms enclose me, and Aidan kisses my bare shoulder from behind.

"Aidan," I whine. "You're gonna get all wet."

"And your point?" he grumbles against my neck. "Just accept my kisses and hugs in peace, woman. I'll live. It's just water."

He stops as soon as the commentator's voice sounds on the mic. "As we wrap up the Bay Invitational Finals, let's transition into the awards ceremony."

Aidan nods to the podium. "We all bet that you'd place 1st."

"That's not fair. You five teaming up against me like that. Even Kacey?"

He grins. "She proposed the bet."

I roll my eyes. "So, what's in it for you guys?"

Aidan shrugs aimlessly and takes a seat next to me in the front row of the bleachers normally reserved for the swimmers. "You'll see."

9:38 p.m. The bowling alley was a mass of neon paint, blacklight, and EDM music blaring from the overhead speakers. Parties of all sizes milled about, and it takes a few blinks for me to get used to the near darkness that all six of us walked into. I pull off my fleece-lined jean jacket, laying it on the chair behind me, and place the gold medal in a pocket before snapping the button shut.

Soledad hands me a pair of shoes. "You're on a team with Kace and me."

I arch my eyebrows. "You and Nichelle aren't teaming up? What a surprise."

"I'm getting payback for a past bowling date we went on."

Aidan and Marcus return with snacks and drop them at a nearby table. "You three ready...to lose?" Marcus teases.

"Be careful what you wish for, Petersen," I warn, testing the weight of an aqua-green bowling ball. With a swift swing, the ball's trajectory remains on course. Strike.

"Not a bad aim, Sommers," Aidan says. With a swing back and forward before letting go, the path of the dark blue ball wavers until it hits one pin splattered with green paint before going into the gutter.

"That was a warmup," he mutters.

"Right. A warm-up," I say, rolling my eyes.

Marcus playfully slaps him on the back. "You're not losing your touch on bowling, too, are you?"

Aidan rolls his shoulders. "Of course not. I just wanted to throw them off course."

"Like that gutter ball?" I cough out. Sol pinches her lips, stifling a laugh. Even Nichelle chuckles at that, despite her being on the same team as them.

"And that everyone, was Faith's famous last words," Kacey says, with a mocking, sad shake of her head.

At the end of the game, all the scores are averaged; Kacey, Soledad, and I come out victorious over Aidan's team by four points.

I nudge Aidan's arm. "Looks like you lost your magic touch."

"I'd blame those pesky splits. They're pure evil," Nichelle interjects.

"I second that," Aidan agrees.

———

I'm in my car with Kacey and Nichelle when my phone dings just as I buckle my seatbelt.

Six of Spades

AIDAN: Marvel movie marathon at my place, right?

SOLEDAD: of course.

MARCUS: as always.

KACEY: hell yeah.

NICHELLE: we'll be there.

FAITH: I'm not getting out of this one, am I?

KACEY: absolutely not.

NICHELLE: ^

SOLEDAD: I thought we made it clear that you're stuck with us now.

MARCUS: ^

AIDAN: ^

I drop my phone in the cupholder before backing out. "You and Nichelle are the worst, you know that?"

Kacey scoffs. "What a terrible liar. You love us."

"Maybe one of us more than others?" Nichelle adds.

I return my hand to the wheel and focus on the road. "Not even."

Well...maybe.