Chapter Sixteen - Shopping

A tiny bell overhead chimed as Edwin and George stepped into Ollivander's Wand Shop, Edwin's eyes scanned the boxes upon boxes of wands the elderly man had stored in his shop.

"Greetings, boys," he spoke. "Haven't broken yet another wand have you, Mr Weasley?"

George smiled at him with his well-known goofy grin, "No Sir, not here for me today. Edwin here is looking for his first wand." George had grabbed Edwin by the shoulders and held him in front of Ollivander as if he were a prized possession being shown off.

"Come here, boy." Ollivander croaked, pointing at Edwin. Edwin took a step forward, edging closer towards the front desk. Ollivander adjusted his glasses to take a closer look at the boy, "Brother of Hugo Scally?"

Edwin stood straight, "how did you know?"

"I remember every young witch and wizard that walks through that door, you two look almost exactly alike..." he turned towards his collection of wands, "Let's try this one," he said, removing a dusty box from the pile.

Edwin carefully picked up the wand, he didn't want to embarrass himself by admitting that he knew zero spells so he swished the wand towards the back of the shop, away from George and Ollivander. The sky-high piles of boxes scattered onto the floor, thankfully, this was cleared by a simple cleaning charm. Ollivander has had to perform this charm many times during his years as a wandmaker, so the mess didn't bother him as much as it bothered Edwin. He quickly placed the wand back into the box, "I'm so sorry!"

"No problem at all, boy, I really thought that one would be perfect. It's the same wand that your brother had, Elm wood, Rougarou hair core, eleven inches in length," he hobbled back to the storeroom for another wand that may be more suitable for Edwin. "Perhaps we'll switch it up a little. Here. try this," he said, displaying yet another wand.

Edwin attempted the same swishing motion as he did earlier and instead of destroying the shop, this wand emitted small, firework-like sparks, an indicator that this wand was a good match for Edwin. "What's this one made out of?" Edwin asked, with a large smile.

"This one is a Cypress wood, Unicorn hair core and again, eleven inches in length. The complete opposite of your brother's wand. This wand is typically paired with courageous wizards with pure hearts... make of that what you will."

"Thank you Ollivander," George said in an attempt to get out of the shop before any questions about Hugo were to arise. He paid the old man and the pair thanked him again before exiting the shop and once again entering the streets of Diagon Alley.

George hurriedly followed Edwin down the cobblestone path as the pair carried on shopping for supplies. Edwin yanked on George's hand every time they approached an appealing looking shop.

"Ohh, how about this one?" Edwin asked, his hands placed flat on the shop window as he peered inside.

"Uhh, let me look at the list again," George replied.

As George had already studied at Hogwarts, Dumbledore trusted him with a list of equipment that Edwin would need. As Edwin would be an older student, he was only going to be taking the most basic classes, the rest could be taught by another experienced wizard outside of Hogwarts. It was already agreed that Fred and George could teach Edwin Quidditch if he wanted to get into the sport, and Lupin agreed to teach him Defence Against the Dark Arts.

Edwin was allowed to choose four other subjects to learn at Hogwarts. He chose; Charms, Potions, Transfiguration and Care for Magical Creatures. He concluded that Charms, Potions and Transfiguration were essential and Care for Magical Creatures was more of a hobby. Even though that subject is most likely what his career would fall into if he was lucky enough to get a job in the wizarding world after graduating.