Chancellor Ava Paige

The next day, the four VKs and the four Gladers' first two classes were separate from the AKs'. Their first lesson was with Fairy Godmother and their second was with Chancellor Ava Paige. The teens sat in a large classroom at wooden chairs and desks. Fairy Godmother stood at the front of the room, wearing the same clothes as the previous day and holding a long pointing-stick, which Jay joked to Carlos that she'd hit him with if he didn't behave. The white-haired boy cowered in his chair as the fairy pointed to a chalkboard which had written '~Welcome to Remedial Goodness!~' at the top and multiple-choice questions written underneath. "If someone hands you a crying baby, do you A: curse it, B: lock it in a tower, C: give it a bottle, or D: carve out its heart?" Evie enthusiastically raised her hand.

"What the shuck is this?" Minho asked.

"I ask that you refrain from using Isle slang in Auradon," Fairy Godmother stated. Minho crossed his arms and muttered something under his breath. "Evie."

"What was the second one?" She asked.

"Oh..." Fairy Godmother replied, "anyone else? Mal?" Mal, who had been drawing the entire time, looked up, twirling a lock of her byzantium hair.

"C: give it a bottle."

"Your buggin' questions don't apply to us," Newt began, "we weren't raised by villains."

"Yes, but you've been around them," Fairy replied, waving her stick superciliously.

"We don't even know why that is," Thomas argued. All of a sudden, there was a frightened squeak from the back of the classroom as a girl hurried past the Gladers and VKs.

"Hello, dear one," Fairy said to her, completely ignoring Thomas.

"Hi," she whispered, looking over her shoulder, "you need to sign an early dismissal for the coronation." She spoke quickly, not taking her eyes off the Isle teens.

"Everyone here remembers my daughter, Jane?" They didn't. At all. 

"Mum!" The girl whispered, panicked. It was quite obvious that she thought these clueless teens would curse her if she did something wrong.

"It's okay, Jane this is everyone," Fairy stated with an overenthusiastic smile.

"Don't mind me," she muttered, squealing as she scurried out the room again.

~

At the end of the lesson, Fairy Godmother prepared to leave the room, "stay here, children; Chancellor Ava Paige will be here soon." Just as the words left her mouth, a woman dressed in grey-white walked into the room, eyeing Thomas before heading to the front. She had a rolled-up poster in her arm and unravelled it to attach it to the blackboard. "Ah, hello," Fairy said to her. They both whispered something to each other while eyeing the Gladers. "Okay. This is Chancellor Ava Paige, I will leave you to it," she said, extending her arm dramatically as she left the room.

The Chancellor cleared her throat, "as you all know, there is a virus going around Auradon. It is turning good people into aggressive, hostile and primitive versions of themselves. We call them 'Cranks'." The Isle teens were silent as they listened - even the VKs knew this was serious. "As you can see here," she gestured to the information poster behind her, "the symptoms are: temper, high fever, coughing, sore muscles, dying veins and - in more severe cases - convulsions. Symptoms can occur within the first 24 hours of being in contact with someone who has the Flare." She spoke in such a dull and melancholy way that she almost looked dead or infected with something herself: her clothes so plainly coloured that she looked like a ghost. The only colourful thing about her was her red lipstick on the thin lips of her pale face. Her light blonde hair was tied back in a ponytail that seemed to pull the skin from her forehead. "There is a drug that lots of people in the early stages have decided to use. It's called the Bliss... do any of you know what that is?" The teens shook their heads. "It is a temporary treatment that delays the effects of the virus by slowing down brain function. But it is illegal, so if you see anyone looking dazed or not aware of what is going on around them, please let someone who can help know immediately, so that they can be removed, and the area can be sterilised." Carlos tentatively raised his hand. "Yes?"

"The Flare isn't... in this school, is it?"

"No as far as we are aware." She took a folded piece of paper from her pocket and opened it to the students.

"At the moment," she began, "the Flare virus is most common in Camelot heights, but there have also been cases in Auradon city

"At the moment," she began, "the Flare virus is most common in Camelot heights, but there have also been cases in Auradon city. We have the Cranks locked away and are working on a cure."

"I heard there were cases in Cinderellasbug," Mal stated, "even more than in Camelot."

"Superstition," Ava stated dismissively, immediately folding the map away. "Just be on the lookout and try to keep yourselves safe." With that, she walked promptly out of the room. The teens looked at one another, terrified.

"I don't believe a word coming from her shuck mouth," Minho stated.

"I'm sure she's trying her best," Teresa argued. Whether the Chancellor was correct or not, it was time for the teens' next lessons: PE for Jay, Carlos, Teresa and Minho; History for Evie, Mal, Newt and Thomas.