Found Heart

The next day, Minho and Chuck venture the Isle's gloomy streets, the sky as grey and cloudy as ever when suddenly they noticed Evie, searching through the table of a market stall. Her brow was furrowed and eyes subtly bloodshot but her makeup, hair and clothes looked as perfectly-done as ever. "Evie!" Chuck exclaimed, grinning. The girl turned her head to see him, looking a little happier, "what's wrong?" He asked upon noticing her sad eyes.

"I had... a necklace," the girl began, still searching through the table, "a beautiful ruby heart that my mother gave to me... I can't find it anywhere-..."

"Are you looking for this?" A half-familiar voice called from the roof of a nearby building; Jay was standing cockily atop it, swinging a glinting golden chain in his fingers with what appeared to be a red heart as the pendant.

"Jay, give it back!" Evie exclaimed, stomping her blue heels in irritation. She began to panic; if one of the greatest thieves on the Isle had that necklace, she might never get it back.

"Or what," someone else began, approaching from the dark shadow of an alley – Mal, "you'll not invite him to your birthday party?" Minho and Chuck looked back and forth between the three VKs, unaware of the subtext.

"Carlos might know what to do," Minho muttered, before shaking himself. "Hey, give Evie back the necklace, Jay; it's nothin' to you, shuckface, but it's important to her!"

"Yeah!" Chuck agreed. Before Jafar's son could reply, an echoing boom sounded nearby, startling the pendant from his hand and onto the ground. A thick – but harmless – black, white and red smoke swirled and filled the air around them. Chuck scurried to grab the necklace before the smoke cleared. When it did, Carlos was revealed in the centre, holding a slingshot in his hand. Smoke-bombs were attached to his belt.

"Carlos? Why, you little-..." Mal begun, approaching the timid boy.

"Anyone who wants to insult Carlos has gotta buggin' go through me!" Newt shouted, storming in from another alleyway and brandishing his machete, staring at Jay and Mal with his dark eyes.

"Why can't you shanks just all be friends?" Chuck asked innocently. Evie, Carlos, Mal and Jay all exchange looks; the latter two of disgust and shock, and the former two of hope and fear.

"We'd..." Jay begins, looking at Mal expectantly.

"Never..." Mal continues seething, turning to Evie.

"Be..." Evie continues, turning to Carlos sadly.

"Friends?" Carlos finished uncertainly, "why: Because our parents don't want us to, or because we're villains? Or because we really all hate each other that much?" The others don't reply, thinking for a moment. Chuck handed Evie's necklace back to her. "Look at the Gladers, they'll help anyone! They helped me, and they've known me two days! We've known each other for years and can't even smile at each other." Simultaneously, the four VKs step closer to one another as Newt put away his machete in a sheath over his shoulder.

"No one can know, though," Mal said.

"No, we're just..." Jay continued.

"Four partners in crime," Evie smiled.

"Well, keep your crime away from us. How cute that you're finishing each other's shuck sentences already. Why don't you all get married?"

"That's enough, Minho," Newt said, "time to go back to the Glade."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

•♦One Year Later♦•

"Long Live Evil!" Mal called, waving to someone as she spray-painted a wall with purple and green cans.

"Rotten to the Core!" Evie purred seductively as she steals a man's stylish red scarf.

"Wicked good!" Jay crowed, stealing a teapot.
"No, it's 'Wicked is good'!" Someone shouted back. Jay rolls his eyes.

"101% Cruel!" Carlos shouted, stealing a green apple, taking a bite, and throwing it back to the girl it belonged to.