SEVEN

Several hours later, the sun has set and Evalynn and Connor are both still on the couch watching t.v. when Evan and Jared walk in.

"What. The. Fuck," Jared says.

Both couch dwellers jump up and Evalynn is blushing as she turns off the t.v. and Connor is mumbling something about just leaving. He pushes past Evan and Jared, grabbing his bag and leaving without looking back. Everything is silent as the boys stare at the still blushing Evalynn Hansen.

"I'm, um, I'm going to bed," she says finally and bolts out of the room.

Evan and Jared continue to stand there for a minute before heading to Evan's room.

"What do you think that was about?" Jared asks.

"No idea," Evan replies, getting out his laptop.

As the pair talk and take turns on the computer late into the night, they remain oblivious to the fact that Evalynn is lying in her bed, crying herself to sleep.

The next morning, Evan leaves before Evalynn is awake. As she heads out the door, she sees Connor's car idling in the driveway with Connor himself leaning against the hood on his phone.

"Want a ride?" he asks.

"Sure," she replies.

They climb in and pull out of the driveway. They make most of the ride in silence before Evalynn finally breaks it.

"I'm sorry about last night."

"Don't be. I had a good time."

"Until my brother and that dick Jared ruined it?"

He doesn't say anything, but snorts a little at her words, impressed slightly that a Hansen could actually have a potty mouth. After parking the car, they head inside, neither speaking as they find themselves standing by Evalynn's locker. Just as Connor opens his mouth to actually say something, the bell rings and she hurries away to get to class.

Connor heads back out to his car, planning to ditch again. Every bit of his drugs and cigarettes and anything else he could find of his stash in his room is in the trunk. There's something he needs to do before he comes back to pick up Evalynn at the end of the day...