You Can't

'Dad?' Ellie said as she got up from where she was seated.

'Eri, what are you doing here?' Ryu asked.

'I should ask you that. I thought you were in a business trip.' Ellie was clearly starting to get upset, Chris got up and grabbed her arm gently.

'I... Honey, I can explain.' Ryu took a step towards her daughter but Ellie stepped back.

'Amma's gone and you couldn't even care to go home and check on everything.' Ellie yelled.

'Eri, your Amma...'

Ellie cut him off, 'I.. Don't know what to say. I don't want to see you anymore.' Ellie stormed out of the cafe.

'El... wait up.' Chris grabbed her mini backpack and followed her not even looking at Ryu. 'ELLIE SAGE! STOP!' Chris shouted.

Ellie stopped, looked at Chris apologetically then ran towards the woods.

'DAMN IT ELLIE!' Chris ran towards the direction Ellie went.

Chris has been walking the trail for a good thirty minutes calling out for Ellie. A few minutes more and he reached the lake.

'ELLIE!' He shouted as he ran around the shore. Then he saw her... 'EL!' He ran to her and shook her gently, 'El, wake up.' He patted her cheek but she won't wake up. Chris carried her and jogged through the trail. Halfway through, Ellie opened her eyes.

'Chris...' she whispered.

'EL!' He laid her on the meadow and he sat beside her. 'Baby, don't run away like that. I... I just. I don... I can't.... I just can't' Chris started to sob.

Ellie sat up slowly and Chris pulled her and hugged her tightly but gently. 'Please don't leave me. You're the only one who I want to be with.' Chris whispers. He kissed her through their sobs and rested their foreheads on each other. 'Come on, let's go home. I'll carry you.' They made their way back to the house and Ryu was waiting by the front door.

'Babe, please put me down.' She whispered to Chris.

'Are you sure you can walk?'

'Help me?' She smiled faintly.

'Ellie Sage...' Ryu said as he walked towards them as they head up the driveway. He tried hugging her.

'Don't touch me.' Ellie said.

'Eri-chan I can explain. Please...' Ryu begged.

'No. Please leave. I'll call you when I'm ready to talk.' Ellie bowed in respect then looked up at Chris, 'come one let's go inside.'

Chris and Ellie were about to open the front door when Ryu said, 'You know this shouldn't happen. You know our history. And soon enough you'll wake up and see that this is all a mistake.' He glared at Chris before turning around to leave.

Ellie stayed quiet. She walked up to the bedroom and washed up, leaving Chris sitting on the bed, puzzled about what Ryu said. A few minutes later, Chris checked on Ellie in the shower and found her sitting on the shower floor crying. He immediately shut the water off, grabbed a towel and put it around Ellie. He then carried her out of the bathroom and on to the bed.

'I'm all sorts of fucked up.' She said as she wiped her tears.

'Baby, you're not.' Chris walked over to her luggage and grabbed some comfy clothes and another towel for her.

'I... I don't deserve to be loved.' She looked up at him, he put the clothes on the bed and sat down in front of her.

'You deserve all the love in this world.' He started to help dry her off.