11. JOSEPH

MY GAZE RETURNED TO THE PAINTING OF THE VOLTURI, their cold and serious expressions staring back at me. Felix, Jane, Demetri, and Alec - their names echoed in my mind as a memory flashed before my eyes.

I was a mere observer as the Volturi emerged from the black smoke, their dark hoods pulled back to reveal their faces. The Cullens stood before them, victorious in their battle against the newborns.

Jane's voice cut through the silence, her words dripping with both admiration and disdain. "Impressive. I've never seen a coven escape an assault of this magnitude intact."

Carlisle merely shrugged, his humble nature preventing him from basking in the glory of their successful evasion. "We were lucky," he replied, his voice laced with a hint of uncertainty.

Jane scoffed at his response, her sharp wit cutting through the air like a knife. "Luck had nothing to do with it," she retorted. "Your coven is skilled, Carlisle. You should be proud."

Alec had been silently observing the exchange, and spoke up. "It appears we missed an entertaining fight," he commented.

Jane nodded in agreement. "It's not often we're rendered unnecessary," she remarked, her eyes scanning the area for any signs of danger.

Edward chimed in. "If you had arrived a half-hour earlier, you would have fulfilled your purpose," he said, his tone matter-of-fact.

Jane's gaze shifted to Bree, who had been crouching by the fire.

"You missed one," she said, a sly smile creeping across her face.

Carlisle explained their decision to offer Bree asylum in exchange for her surrender, but Jane was quick to interject.

"That wasn't yours to offer," she said, her voice sharp.

As Jane moved towards Bree, Esme shot Carlisle a concerned look. He shook his head subtly, silently urging her not to interfere.

"Why did you come?" The question hung in the air, waiting for an answer.

But before the newborn could even open her mouth, a piercing scream shattered the silence. Bree crumpled to the ground, writhing in agony as Bella flinched and I stood stoically, accustomed to the pain of others.

And as I returned my gaze to the painting, I couldn't help but wonder what other battles the Volturi had fought and won.

I shook my head, trying to rid myself of the haunting memory. Her scream had faded into the abyss of my mind, leaving only the cold, unfeeling face of Felix. His bulging muscles and imposing stature made me feel small and insignificant. Every time I looked at him, all I could see was her lifeless body.

"Take care of that, Felix," Jane commanded, her voice dripping with disdain. "I'd like to go home."

Felix strode forward, his movements fluid and effortless. With a single, powerful motion, he tore Bree apart, limb by limb. The metallic screeching sound that followed was almost unbearable, but I couldn't look away. I ached silently as I watched Bree's life slip away, piece by piece. Felix picked up the remains and tossed them into the flames, as if they were nothing more than scraps of paper.

"Thank you, Felix. Until next time," Jane said, her voice devoid of any emotion.

Suddenly, a strange sensation coursed through my body, starting from my fingertips and spreading throughout my entire being. My hands glowed with a brilliant shade of purple, illuminating the darkness around us. I had never experienced anything like it before. Was it possible that vampires had more than one power? I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself, and the purple glow slowly faded away. I looked down at the ground, feeling a sense of overwhelming guilt.