13. HELENA

I DESCENDED TO THE STAIRS AND A SENSE OF familiarity washed over me. It was as if I was slowly but surely becoming a part of the family. I relished the feeling of getting to know them better, of learning their stories and their quirks.

My curiosity was piqued as I pondered how Gabriel and Helena had met, what their love story entailed. I wondered about Joseph and Rhona's first encounter, the moment that sparked their romance. And, of course, I yearned to know more about Alana, the enigmatic member of the family.

As I made my way towards the living room, I spotted Gabriel and Helena engrossed in a game of chess by the fireplace. It was as if they were in their own little world, the rest of the house fading into the background. I couldn't help but smile at the sight of them, so comfortable in each other's company.

I approached them, eager to join in on the fun. Gabriel was playing with the black pieces, his brow furrowed in concentration. Helena, on the other hand, had a serene expression on her face as she moved her white pieces with ease. I couldn't wait to see who would emerge victorious in this battle of wits.

"Hey," I announced my arrival, my voice echoing through the room like a sweet melody. Gabriel and Helena looked up at me, their eyes lighting up with joy. Their smiles were like rays of sunshine on a cloudy day.

"Hi, Violet," Helena spoke first, her voice as gentle as a whisper.

"Hello," greeted Gabriel, his voice deep and soothing. "Were you talking to Joseph and Simon?"

"I was just getting to know them," I answered, my curiosity piqued. "Simon told me how he and Alana met and got together; Joseph did briefly mention how he met Rhona. This got me thinking, how did you two meet?"

"Well, that's a long story," Helena replied, her eyes twinkling mischievously.

"You want to know?" asked Gabriel, his voice laced with excitement. I nodded my head eagerly, eager to hear their tale.

"Let me start at the very beginning," Helena said. "I was born in 1697 in London, England. I was known as one of the sweetest daughters of the Morgan Family."

"How many siblings do you have?" I enquired about her.

"I had five older sisters," she answered. "No sons."

"I bet you are lucky to have no brothers." I ended with a chuckle.

"My mother doesn't seem to mind." Helena sighed. "My father, however, was a bit disappointed but in the end, he thought he was lucky to have daughters to carry on the family line.

"On every New Year's Eve, my family would throw a massive party and invite people from rich backgrounds, mostly young men, to our mansion. On one particular night, I met Gabriel. He asked me to dance and I accepted his offer. We danced and danced. It felt like the world had gone quiet just for us."

Helena sighed at the last sentence.

"But your father wasn't fond of me," Gabriel added.

"Just being a protective dad, at least," I said with a nervous chuckle.

"He was a hunter," she explained.

"What? Like Simon when he was human?"

"Exactly. My father, William Morgan, was a well-known hunter in the community." Helena began to explain. "He was mostly known for hunting the supernatural. So when he saw me dancing with Gabriel, he wasn't happy about it. He suspected that Gabriel was a demon that lured women away."

"Do I look like a demon to him?" Gabriel said, quietly laughing to himself.

"Would you rather have him knowing you're a vampire?"