BOOK 6 > Ch. 30 ~KNEEL~

I'll never be your mother's favorite
Uh, your daddy can't even look me in the eye Ooh, if I was in their shoes, I'd be doing the same thing saying

"There goes my little girl walkin' with that troublesome guy"

But they're just afraid of something they can't understand
Ooh, but little darlin' watch me change their minds
Yeah for you I'll try, I'll try, I'll try, I'll try
And pick up these broken pieces 'til I'm bleeding
If that'll make you mine

~IT WILL RAIN, BRUNO M.

I...

" Thank you, Sir Alfred. "

Olivia Jean murmured when she felt the old guy place a chunky leather jacket around her aging shoulders. He probably noticed that she was cold as she was looking blankly at the dark horizon sea stretch while their ferry was bound to Jolo, Sulu at 4:00 AM frosty morning.

There was definitely no direct connection from Manila Airport to the Sulu Archipelago and this was the case even with the multiple powerful acquaintances that they have around the country. Traveling using the chopper wasn't one of the options either. This was one of the places in the country that poses threats such as terrorism and kidnapping and they were told that it wasn't commendable to get suspicious attention from people who didn't know them. This was why they had to go through the prolonged travel from the Metro to Zamboanga until they had to take the ferry boat.

" Why don't you go ahead and retire for the evening, old man? We still have three hours. The chilly wind is not good for your arthritis. "

" How dare you call me an old man, OJ. You are not so young yourself. "

Alfred stood beside her while the man raised an eyebrow. He was one of the few who could openly talk to her like that. Needless to say, he is already considered a family. His fidelity to her and his service has been immaculate. And though his employment had been terminated years back, her own father knew too well that he could only trust Alfred, no one else after him.

She grabbed the ferry's railings when it tilted a little. It was making her a little dizzy. It has been a long time since the last time she braved traveling by sea. It was not for her.

She heard Alfred sigh beside her.