Part 2 - Talking to the moon

Year 2005 - Shimla

Anokhi stared at the shivering reflection of the big bright moon in the lakewater. It appeared to be cold, like she was. The chilly winds blew her long dark tresses, making her tremble a little but it didn't make her move from her favorite spot on the bridge. She had not finished talking to Nidhi yet.

It had been a year since Nidhi died in an accident. Anokhi's only friend, her biggest support was no more. But she didn't believe it. She visited their favorite spot every evening to talk to her, speak her mind. Except her diary, she could never express her feelings to anyone but Nidhi.

Tujhe pata hai? Anokhi addressed the reflection of the moon in the water - Mujhe na law college ki scholarship mil gayi hai. Tu bolti thi na ki main jitni bhi romantic novels padhu, law is my destiny? Well, I have realized my destiny Nidhi. Mujhe padhna hai law. Mujhe wakil banna hai. Taki main unlogo ko saza de pau jo dusro ko apni gadi ke tale kuchalkar chale jate hai aur kabhi piche mudke dekhte bhi nhi.

Her jaws got tighter, and a lone tear escaped her eye.

Mujhe banna hai wakil. Tere liye. Apne liye. Main kanoon ki hifazat karungi. Bohot bada wakil banungi tu dekhna. I have enrolled in the NNC Institute of law. Tu dekhna, yahan se meri nayi journey shuru hogi.

She spoke for a few more minutes before bidding goodbye to her best friend. Blowing a kiss to the moon, she wrapped her shawl tightly around her and turned back to head homewards.

But she didn't realise that it was too late for a chilly, spring evening.

She had just walked a few metres when she heard something behind. Anokhi turned back and froze. There was a group of guys who seemed to follow her in wobbly steps, as they were drunk. She quickened her pace and heard one of them cry out - Arey arey, ladki to bhagne lagi!

Another one quipped - Arey jaldi kar, bhag jayegi...

As the sound of footsteps grew louder behind her, Anokhi broke her stride and took off, only to be blinded by a pair of headlights.

Aahhh!

She cried out in pain, as the car hit her, causing her to fall. Thankfully, the driver had seen her and applied the brakes on time.

The guys who were following her saw the car and stopped. But when someone got out of it, they took off immediately to prevent any trouble.

Hey! Are you okay?

A chill ran down Anokhi's spine, as she sat there, caressing her toe, whose nail had broken and blood was oozing from the wound.

No! It couldn't be! How on Earth.....!!

She looked up. No shit!

It was the same kind face she saw years ago and was blown by the warmth it exuded.

It was the same man! How could she forget? He had always lived on in her subconscious. As a tragic yet pleasant memory.

However, he didn't seem to recognise her.

Hello? Thik ho tum?

The concern in his voice was clearer than ever.

Haan...haan main thik hu - Anokhi managed to stand up but shrieked in pain due to her wounded toe.

Arey kya kar rahi ho tum....

He caught her just in time and carefully made her lean against the car's bonnet.

Tumhare payer se to khun nikal rahi hai. I am so sorry. I really didn't see you. You came so fast and I...not that it's your fault...but.....I should have seen....Sorry! So sorry!

He continued blabbering, apologising, while Anokhi looked at his face, smiling. He had got specs, cool ones though. And his face had changed a little. He looked less of a prince and more of a nerd.

She smiled at her own thoughts. Of course, he was not in a groom's attire like the first time they met.

Her smile disappeared. But inside, she was happy at this unexpected and somewhat miraculous encounter.

Hello! Soch kya rahi ho? Kahan rehti ho? Tumhe kahin drop kar du?

Anokhi nodded her head sideways - Main idhar hi paas mein rehti hu, hostel mein. Chali jaungi main. Thank you!

Aisa kaise? Tumhe chot lagi hai. You need first aid. Ek kaam karo. Mere ghar paas mein hi hai. Meri behen hai wahan. She is an experienced nurse. Let me take you there so that you can get a proper dressing. Otherwise, you may get an infection. Mere car mein first aid kit hai nhi. Warna.....

Anokhi got anxious - Nhi nhi...zaroorat nhi hai. Maine kahan na main chali jaungi? Thank you so much Sir..

He smiled warmly at her. Damn! His smile was enough to cause butterflies in her stomach. Anokhi lowered her eyes.

I know what you are thinking. Chinta mat karo. Agar meri behen ghar pe nhi hoti abhi, main tumhe kabhi bhi wahan lekar nhi jata. Let me call her so that you will know. Tabtak tum gadi mein baitho.

He opened the door for her. She hesitated for a few seconds but then quietly climbed inside the car. He was no stranger? He had helped her before. He was just a kind person, helping everyone.

Haan, di? She heard him talking over the phone. He had put it on speaker purposely.

Bol Shaurya! Aaj firse late ayega na?
The woman on the other side taunted him.

Arey nhi, main aa hi raha tha. Raste mein ek chota sa hadsa ho gaya. Ek ladki ko chot lagi hai...

Kya baat kar raha hai? Woh thik to hai na? The woman sounded anxious.

Haan Di woh waise to thik hai par chot gehri lag rahi hai. Aap ghar pe ho na? Main usko leke aau wahan? Dressing ke liye? Paas me hi hu.

There was a pause. Then the woman said - Agar use problem nhi hai to le aa. Aaj duty nhi hai meri. I can take care of her wound.

Thik hai. Love you Di!

Shaurya put down the phone and turned to face Anokhi, who was listening intently. She smiled.

Aab chale? She nodded...