Part 4 - New Habits

Anokhi rushed inside the Saberwal mansion, as the pelting rain almost made her blood freeze. Adjusting her clothes, she knocked hard on the door besides pushing the bell twice. After a few minutes that seemed like eternity, the front door opened.

Anokhi, what the hell.......?!!

Shaurya was shocked to see her state - Andar aao jaldi... Aajao...

A trembling Anokhi stepped inside the hallway that led to the large living room.

Shaurya continued rebuking her - pagal ho kya? Aise kaun bhigta hai? Where's your umbrella? Why didn't you carry it with you?

He brought a towel and started drying her hair. But it was still wet.

Aise nhi hoga. Tum baitho idhar. Main abhi aata hu.

She clutched her wet clothes tightly and sat down on the floor, afraid that she might drench the sofa.

Meanwhile, Shaurya went into Aastha's room and took out some clothes from her wardrobe and picked up the hair dryer from the table.

When he returned, Anokhi was rocking back and forth, trying to calm the shivering. She was damn cold.

Shaurya got pissed at her - Floor pe kaun baithne bola tumhe? Jao jaake fireplace ke samne baitho.

She got up slowly and went near the fireplace. Dragging a tool, she sat down on it, hands tightly clasped around her. He came towards her and said - Ye lo. Ye Di ke kapde hai. Tum change kar lo. Aur ye dryer se apne baal sukha lo. I am going upstairs to make some coffee for you.

She took the clothes from his hand and waited for him to disappear upstairs. Then she changed her wet clothes and put on the dry ones, the heat from the fire calming her down a little. But, she couldn't switch the dryer on. She had never used one before. When Shaurya returned after a while, he found her fidgeting with it.

Ruko - He stretched out his hand - Mujhe do!

Without a word, she handed him the dryer. He signalled for her to take the seat and switched on the hair dryer after plugging it.

Ise plug karna tha, samjhi?

Anokhi looked at him guiltily. He smiled - aab chup chap baithe raho.

He dried her long, wet tresses with utmost care. Every time his fingers touched her in places, she closed her eyes, enjoying every bit of it. She had gotten used to his affection, his care by then. But the only thing that disturbed her at times is, he didn't know how she took those gestures. He genuinely cared for her. But that's it.

However, Anokhi felt sparks when his fingers accidently brushed against her neck, or her shoulders. She suppressed her smile as he finished the task efficiently.

Aab tumhe bukhar aane se rahi. Is weather mein koi bina chata bahar jaata hai kya?

Anokhi mumbled something that he couldn't hear at first..

Kya? Kya kahan tumne?

She cleared her throat and repeated - Main bhul jati hu. Aapko to pta hai na ki main chata idhar udhar chod ke chali jati hu.

Haan, wo to pta hi hai ki tum kitni bari bhalakkar ho. He laughed, easing her anxiety a bit.

Chalo, aab garam coffee pee lo. Yahan peeogi ya library mein?

Anokhi's eyes lit up. She had been visiting him regularly for some time then. After that fateful night of the accident, they had bonded quite well. She came to his place even in the absence of Aastha sometimes. She didn't hesitate. Shaurya was quite friendly, and a really warm and welcoming guy. He even created a spare key to the library for her, so that she could come and read whenever she pleased, even if both he and his sister are not home.