Part 12 - Let the heart rule

'Ahir, ek minute!'

Shaurya called out to him. He stopped and turned, 'Ji Sir?'

'Anokhi aaj college nahi ayi? Tumhe pata hai kyun?'

Ahir was quick to reply, 'Uski tabiyat thik nahi hai Sir. Maine subah phone ki thi. She had fever.'

'Fever?' Shaurya felt worried but didn't show it, 'Okay, koi baat nahi.'

Ahir nodded and walked away, while Shaurya stood there, wondering what could have happened to Anokhi.

Navratri was over and the classes had resumed. Shaurya was eagerly waiting to see her but was disappointed when she didn't come to attend the lecture. He thought for sometime and then decided to meet her at the hostel.

It didn't take him too much trouble to enter Anokhi's hostel. The warden knew him, so did the guard. When he knocked on Anokhi's door, a strange thought crossed his mind, 'How would she react? What if she didn't let him inside? What if she closed the door on his face?'

Nothing of the sort happened though. Anokhi was a little surprised on seeing him but that was it. She moved a little, so that he could enter.

'Anokhi, I am sorry but mujhe pata chala ki tumhari tabiyat thik nahi hai. To main......rok nahi paya aapne aap ko. Once again, sorry.'

She didn't reply but stood there, silently.

'Anokhi kuch to bolo?' Shaurya felt impatient.

'Aapko istarah yahan nahi ana chahiye tha. Ek phone kar dete. Bas wahi thik tha...'

Shaurya was prepared for this. But he was not to be put down.

'Anokhi please. You are hurting me.'

She looked up, 'And how am I hurting you Sir?'

Shaurya breathed a sigh, 'Main....main.....main nahi reh sakta.....tumhare bina....'

Anokhi kept looking at him, 'To usmein main kya kar sakti hu? Aapko pata hai sabkuch. Aapko pata hai that I want to move on. Then why are you not letting me? Aapko chahiye kya Shaurya Sir?'

Shaurya got up and walked towards her. He held her by the shoulders and shook her, 'Tum mujhe batao na? Tum batao main kya karu? Main itna adhura mehsoos kar raha hu jabse tumne mujhe woh keys wapas kar diye. Anokhi woh keys tumhari meri life mein enter karne ki ek wajah thi.. ek akhri wajah..Kyu band kar di tumne woh rasta? Kyu chod diya tumne mujhe? Aab main kya karu bolo?'

Anokhi released herself slowly and moved back, away from him.

'Kyunki main nahi chahti apse koi bhi rishta rakhna. Aur aapko bhi sobha nahi deta yeh. You are married. Your wife is here with your daughter. Go back to your family, Shaurya Sir.'

'Tum bhi to meri family ka ek hissa ho na?' Shaurya was uncontrollable.

'Main? Main koi bhi nahi hu. Bas ek irritating ladki jo apni had bhul gayi thi.'

'Anokhi don't say this. You are important to me. And you know that.'

'Kya fayda Sir? We were not meant to be. Meri galati hai jo maine apne dil mein aisi feelings ko panah di thi. But you? You were always right. Now I feel nothing for you. Please leave, Mr Saberwal. Yahan aapka koi nahi hai.'

Shaurya couldn't hold his tears any longer. Her voice was cold, distant, as if she had made up her mind never to change it.

'Anokhi.....main......' He couldn't complete the sentence and broke into tears.

'Please mat kijiye yeh. Mujhe dukh hota hai aapko is halat mein dekh ke.'

Anokhi came towards him and wiped his tears, 'Ghar jaiye. Main kal college aungi. Aur main hamesha...hamesha aapki izzat karungi. Aapne mere liye jo kiya hai woh koi kisi apne ke liye bhi nahi karta....main kabhi bhulungi.....'

Shaurya threw his arms around her and pulled her close. She held onto him for sometime. Not a single tear came out of her eyes, as he sobbed into her dark tresses.

'Anokhi mat karo...mat karo please.... I am sorry for hurting you. I am sorry for everything.'

'Shaurya.....'

She called him by the name for the first time. Shaurya released her to take a closer look at her face. Her eyes were half closed and her face was calm. He brushed his thumb against her cheek. Her lips trembled, anticipating something. He leaned towards her and breathed on her face. She clawed at his fingers, unable to stop the butterflies in her stomach.

'Anokhi,' he whispered in her ears, 'I can't let go of you. I won't survive.....'

Opening her eyes wide, Anokhi looked into his moist eyes. Yes, it was the same feeling that she yearned for so many months. But she had made up her mind. She wouldn't separate him from his family. She wouldn't create hurdles in his life. He longed to reunite with his family. She wouldn't spoil that. She saw how happy he was. She couldn't take that away from him.

'Aap ye jo bhi bol rahe ho, aapki wife ko pta hai?'

He moved away, a shocked expression on his face.

'Aap kya chahte ho Mr Saberwal? Ki main aapki mistress......?'

'ANOKHI!'

He slapped her right across the face. She fell on the floor.

'Oh Shit!' Shaurya knelt and picked her up, 'I am sorry! I am so sorry... I am sorry dear...please...'

Anokhi got up and dusted her clothes.

Shaurya tried to explain but his phone rang. He took it out. Unknown number.

'Hello?'

He listened for a few moments and then, 'Ye kab hua?' his jaws hardened.

After a few more moments, 'Main aa raha hun. Usko bolo ghabraye mat.'

As he put the phone down, Anokhi raised her brows questioningly.

'Client ka phone tha. Unki beti ko kisine agwa kar li hai. Mujhe isiwaqt Chandigarh ke liye nilalna hoga. She was the eye witness. Mujhe use bachana hi hoga.'

Anokhi stopped him as he tried to walk out, 'Main bhi chalti hu aapke sath.'

Shaurya was surprised. A few minutes before she was talking about moving apart and now she was ready to go with him, as his support. But he didn't have the courage to refuse her.

'Okay, chalo. But this is risky Anokhi. Aur tumhari classes bhi hamper ho sakti hai.'

'Aapki pareshani bhi to kam hogi na? Aap akele manage kar paoge?'

He felt overwhelmed. The girl knew exactly when and where he needed support. Planting a quick kiss on her forehead, he said, 'Chalo fir!'

____________________

Please do comment and tell me how the story is progressing. Your comments help me write better chapters each time... 🤗☺️