Part 3 - Key to the Library

The Saberwal mansion seemed too big for two people and a few helpers. Where was his wife? Anokhi thought.

Astha Saberwal was much like her brother, kind and warm. She helped Anokhi sit down carefully and place her feet on a stool. Then she examined her wound and clicked her tongue.

Shaurya, bohot accha kiya ki tu isko yahan le aya. Ye abhi dressing nhi ki to infection ho jayegi. Pura nakhun bahar aa gaya hai.

Shaurya felt guilty. It was his fault. But Anokhi guessed it from his expression and said - Aapki galti nhi hai. Main hi bine kuch dekhe bhag rahi thi. Mere piche kuch log pade the, follow kar rahe the....

Shaurya got anxious - Arey to tumne tab kyu nhi batata? Main dekh leta unko. Do you want to complain to the police?

Anokhi shook her head - No no! Kuch nhi. Agr zyaada prb hoti to main khud hi chali jati police station.

As Aastha carefully attended to her wound, Shaurya realised that the girl was too self- respecting. She even hesitated to take simple favours from strangers. He smiled to himself.

Kaunsi class mein ho tum? He asked her.

Abhi college start karnewali hu - Anokhi replied - NNC mein.

NNC? Law student ho? Shaurya's face lit up. Wow! That's some coincidence!

Haan, kyu? Anokhi raised her brows.

Aastha replied in place of Shaurya - Actually, humare Saberwal saab law college ke professor reh chuke hai. Abhi sabkuch chod chad ke idhar time paas kar rahe hai.

Di, please! Shaurya's ears felt hot.

Aap lawyer ho? Anokhi's eyes grew wide in excitement.

Haan, chota mota lawyer hu - Shaurya grinned. Par tum bohot bright ho. Tum dekhna, you will become quite successful.

Chota mota? Aastha couldn't control herself - Tumhe pata hai Anokhi, Mumbai mein wo din mein college samhal ta the aur raat ko cases leke baitha rehta hai. Itna busy tha. Aur yahan kaise sara din bekar ghumte rehta hai.

Shaurya's embarrassment knew no bounds - Di bas karo aap. Kya sochti hogi ye.

Aastha - Kya sochegi? Yehi sochegi ki tum pagal ho. Aur kya?

Anokhi giggled at their banter. She was enjoying it immensely.

Lo, ho gaya tumhara dressing - Aastha got up. Tum abhi thoda rest karo. Zyada uchlo main. Main pain killer de deti hu. Uske baad tumhe Shaurya ghar chod dega. Ok?

She had such a warm and affectionate way of commanding that Anokhi found it hard to refuse. But it was already too late and if she didn't get back soon, the warden would not let her enter.

Mujhe jana hoga abhi. Mere hostel ke gates band ho jayenge warna - She said.

Shaurya - Tum idhar paas ke ladies hostel mein rehti ho na? Wahan mujhe sab jante hai. I will take you there in the morning. Tum aaj yehi ruk jao, guest room mein. Kyun di? Sahi kahan na maine?

Aastha smiled at her brother - Bilkul wakil saab. Aap kabhi galat ho sakte ho? Anokhi, tum aaj yehi ruk jao. Main hu na. Tumhe darne ki zaroorat nhi hai.

Anokhi felt as if she was living a dream. How could her life change so much in a single evening? But she controlled herself and said - But main kya karungi yahan. Main bore ho jaungi itne bare ghar mein.

Shaurya laughed out at her innocent comment - Pehli baar sun raha hu ki koi bare ghar mein bore ho jate hai. Chalo mere saath. Tumhare boriyat ki dawai hai mere paas.

He gently took her hand and helped her walk up the stairs, slowly. Then he slowly guided her to the farthest corner of the first floor. They came in front if a large wooden door, and Shaurya took out a key from his purse.

Ye tumhe bore nhi hone degi. If you want, you can stay here instead of the guestroom.

He unlocked the door and pushed it open. Anokhi peeped in over his shoulder and a cry of excitement escaped her lips - Ohh!

He turned back at her and grinned - Do you like it?

She LOVED it!

It was a huge personal library, filled with the essence of books. Rows of books were arranged on the majestic shelves, and a cozy reading sofa in the middle of the room completed the effect. Anokhi had never seen such a huge library before. Even the library at her new college seemed smaller.

As she stood there, gaping, Shaurya took her hand and placed the key on her palm.

It's yours, for tonight - He said warmly.

Tears of delight rolled down her cheeks but she was quick to wipe them away.

Thank....thank you so much Mr. Saberwal...I....I...can't.....

Shaurya stroked her head a little - It's okay. Aab aadat mat dal lena. I know how addictive books can be.

Without replying, she walked slowly towards the shelves and floated around from one shelf to another, forgetting that she was in pain. Shaurya watched her quietly. He felt happy whenever he could make someone smile. It was a special quality in his character. But this girl was different. She seemed so distant, so closed until she came to the library. It was as if he had turned a lock inside her heart and now she was being herself.

He wiped his specs with a kerchief and put it on.

Anokhi?

She turned. Her name sounded so good in his voice.

Haan ji?

Shaurya cleared his throat - To main niche jaa raha hu. Agr kuch chahiye to, udhar woh receiver hai na? Usmein 4 dial karna. Woh mere kamre ka number hai. Aur agar Di se baat karna chahti ho to 3 dial karna. Yaad rahega na?

Anokhi nodded, impatient to get back to  the books.

Thik hai, subah milte hai. Goodnight!

With that, he left.

He came back again in the middle of the night to check on her. She had fallen asleep on the sofa with a book on her lap. Shaurya took the book and read the label - Wuthering Heights. Okay, so she was a fan of classics. He smiled and glanced at her. She looked so innocent as she slept, peaceful and quiet. He covered her with a sheet and turned on the heater. Before leaving, he took one last look at her. Law student! His heart became heavier. He missed his old life, his students, his identity. He missed teaching, being a mentor. Everything he had to leave in just a day...

Sighing, he went outside and closed the door behind him.