Part 11 - Moving Apart

'I don't believe this!' exclaimed Shaurya, 'You are in Shimla since your birth, and you have never been to Manali?'

'How could I?' Anokhi felt a bit disappointed, 'I stayed in the home for 18 years and then, I enrolled in the college. If Nidhi was here, then....maybe....but.....'

She wiped a tear. Shaurya was a little taken aback. He didn't mean to hurt her. He put his hand on hers, as Aastha came into the library with two cups of coffee.

'To kya hua agar tum kabhi Manali nahi gayi?' she said, 'You can come with us if you want.'

Shaurya tried to say something but stopped as Anokhi exclaimed, 'Really? Can I come with you?'

Aastha took a sip from her cup, 'Of course. Shaurya to kaam mein busy rahega and I will be bored as hell. Agar tum chalti ho to wo nahi hoga. Hum bohot shopping karenge. Kyun?'

Shaurya resigned, 'Agar tum dono ne taay kar hi li hai to main kya bolu? Chalo fir. Main tino ke bookings kar leta hu hotel mein.'

Although he didn't show it, he was happy. He had to visit Manali for a case and wanted to take his sister along for a short vacation. But he was glad that Anokhi was coming too. It would be a memorable trip, as a family...

Yes, he considered Anokhi as family. However, he was not sure where to place her though.

'So, it's decided. We are going to Manali next week, right? Anokhi, tum mujhe apna Adhar details de dena. Hotel booking mein lagega.'

Anokhi was excited as hell. It was the first time she was getting out of Shimla, that too with Shaurya. She couldn't believe her luck.

6 days went by like the snap of a finger. Anokhi had packed her things and was ready to leave. The college was closed for a week due to Navratri. So there was no chance of missing out on her classes. Shaurya had told her that he would call her to give all the details. When he didn't, Anokhi dialled the landline. At first, noone answered. When she dialled again, Aastha picked it up.

'Hello? Aastha ma'am? Shaurya Sir kahan hai? Wo mujhe call karne wale the na? Kal ke trip ke bare mein?'

Aastha's voice was tense and low, 'Anokhi, main tumhe baad mein phone karti hu. Kal ka trip cancel ho gaya hai. Main bad mein phone pe sab bataungi, ok?'

Anokhi could also hear distant voices. But she couldn't recognize those.

'Kya baat hai ma'am? Shaurya Sir thik to hai na?'

Aastha sounded a little impatient, 'Haa Haa sab thik hain. Aab main rakhti hu. Please don't mind Anokhi.'

'Par ma'am? Woh.......'

She had hung up, leaving Anokhi confused and bewildered. She sat there for some time, with the receiver in her hand. She wondered what could have happened that they had to cancel the trip? Was he okay? She suddenly started feeling deeply worried for Shaurya and decided to head towards the Saberwal mansion immediately.

And that's where she took the wrong decision.

She ran towards the big gate but stopped before pushing it open. No! She didn't go inside, because what she saw froze her feet to the ground. Shaurya was outside, in the garden, playing with a toddler, a little girl. He was swinging her in his arms, throwing her up in the air and catching her, and the girl was laughing, crackling with joy. Anokhi kept watching them; there was a certain glow on his face, something that she had never seen before.

Suddenly, another figure emerged from behind him. A woman in a maroon, knee-length gown, with a shawl wrapped around her. She was carrying another and walked towards Shaurya, murmering something. He listened to her and nodded, allowing her to wrap the shawl around the little girl in his arms. They stood there, talking to each other, while Shaurya craddled the child in his arms.