8 : Disgusting People

𝕆 𝔸 𝕂 𝕃 𝔼 𝕐

February 20th, 20xx

"This is our stop."

When she pulled the string down, I waited for the bus to stop before getting up. Leading us out of the bus, I stopped to wait for her to jump out. She almost fell to which I laughed at. Somer lightly pushed me as she walked to another stop.

"We're gonna get on another bus and then we're there. Sorry it's taking so long."

"We should have taken my car."

"True," she laughed, wiping the sweat along her hairline away.

I stayed behind her the whole time. There was a man that had followed us, which had me furious. Hadn't he seen me with her? Talking with her? Knowing someone was protecting her should ward him away but I guess fuckers like him didn't realize that until they were bloody on the floor.

He had watched her since we had gotten on the bus. It wasn't as if I didn't see him but I convinced myself that he was just looking at the opposite side of the bus to look out the window. I wanted to give everyone the benefit of the doubt but I guess that didn't work all of the time. 

Sadly.

"Hey, asshole!" Somer suddenly yelled out.

I paused behind her, thinking she was talking about me. When she turned, her eyes went past my shoulder and to the man behind me. He looked startled, his eyes widening with shock.

"You think I didn't notice you? What the fuck do you want with me? I'm here with my friend, who isn't afraid to beat you up. He's been to juvey already, and that was for beating a man half to death. Or...did you want a punch from me?"

A devilish smile made its way to her face as she popped her knuckles, walking forward towards the man. Only one step forward before he was running away. What a pathetic man to begin with.

"Did he really think that I was going to beat him up?" I laughed.

"I'm used to dealing with weirdos," she sighed as we turned to walk towards the bus stop.

"You are? No woman should ever have to 'deal' with creeps."

"You are...the first guy besides Tate who has said that. Every other guy has said that it's my fault that I'm too pretty, that I shouldn't dress the way I do, and such. Some girls also say it but I know that it's not my fault I wear shorts in this weather, you know? I didn't ask to be born into a world where girls are fetishized more than anything."

"I get you. I feel bad that you have to worry about things like that, it's why I covered you in the bus. And why I was walking behind you. If anything, he was going to have to go past me to get to you so I'd rather be an extra step to his nasty plan."

"Oh," she softly said.

Her eyes widened. She looked delighted that I had taken it upon myself to 'protect' her in any way. Had no other person done so?

"So, uh, how far is it from here?" I asked, trying to divert the current subject.

"Not far. Few streets down, at most."

It was already so hot that I felt like I was almost able to drink my sweat if we stood where we stood any longer. How hot was it supposed to be today? It wasn't even triple digits. Maybe moving from a cooler town to a hotter one was going to mess with me. I had about half a year to get used to it all before moving back. 

How horrible that seemed. I'd get used to hot and then get thrown back into the AC.

"Let's get on," she said as the bus came up in front of us.