16 : I Don't Even Know

𝕆 𝔸 𝕂 𝕃 𝔼 𝕐

March 7th, 20xx

When Somer left, I sighed. Willow and my mom had a doctor's appointment and had left for it a few hours earlier. It was a last-minute checkup for Willow's surgery. I decided to stay behind because I didn't want to wake up early. 

That was a lie, it was to see if Somer would drop by. And she did, just like I thought. But I didn't want to see her. I didn't want to see her in case she yelled at me for my dry replies. Or for not telling her about my date.

"Why is having a friend so hard?" I mumbled to myself.

Feeling the guilt start to choke me, I grabbed my shoes to go for a walk. I didn't know where I was going but I took my money too. Just in case I ended up wanting something.

A few minutes later, I found myself at Holland Elementary. On the grass, there Somer laid. In the middle like the first night we had met. Where we apologized and realized that the other was equally as awkward. Or maybe that was just when I realized she was just as awkward as me.

A ping to my phone had my attention broken from her. It was Brandon. 

Have any plans today? I want to make up for Friday, ik it wasn't the best date you could have had. Please? I smiled at his text and sent well, since you sound like you're sorry only to receive his reply within seconds I am...so does this mean that you're willing to spend the day with me?

I walked away from the elementary. Brandon wanted to meet up and I figured that I should give him the time of day. Just to make up for Friday. And luckily I had brought my money.

******

March 10th, 20xx

Why hadn't she been to school? It wasn't like Somer to miss school. She wasn't on the bus before or after school. She wasn't even in English, the only class we had together. I couldn't find her on campus and I didn't like how it left a nasty taste in my mouth.

When I figured that I would ignore her, I hadn't planned if she would do the same. She was punishing me for ignoring her.

"Hey, Sally!" I yelled as soon as I found her. 

I was fed up with not seeing Somer. The feeling of being ignored made me feel guilty that I had started it. Especially since Willow's surgery was coming up. I wanted to wait with her and my mother. But where was the girl?

"Hey, Oakley. Did you need something?" 

"Where's Somer? Is she sick or something?" 

"Huh?" Sally's eyebrows raised. She looked utterly confused.

"Somer, where is she? She hasn't been to school in three days. Not since last Friday."

"She's at school, you just might be missing her. She's just been ditching sixth because her dad keeps pulling her out. He's going back this weekend, you might see her in class next Monday," Sally said with a shrug.

She was at school? Sighing, I fluffed my hair. This was annoying. Why couldn't we just talk? I didn't like having silent petty arguments. Especially if they weren't needed in the first place.

Well, I did start it, didn't I?

"Okay, uh, is she getting a ride to school too or something? She doesn't take the morning bus."

"Why do you know her schedule so much? I find that funny. And strange."

"Sally, it's not weird when I spend most of my time with her because she's my only friend and because you guys boot her out of your plans," I deadpanned.