Chapter 31: Camellias II

Yi Sook woke up from the short slumber to his tear-stained cheeks, realizing that he had cried himself to sleep once again. It was over a few hours after Chan Seong and Huynjin had talked to him, he looked out the window to see it had gotten dark. Sighing, Yi Sook rubbed his eyes and got up from his bed begrudgingly, wincing in pain. Everything seemed like a nightmare and he was eager to wake up from it. Just thinking of Ae Ra brought tears to his eyes and he slumped on his bad.
"It was all my fault." A familiar voice from the far corner of the room spoke up, voice dripping with sadness. Yi Sook gently pulled himself up to find Do Hwan standing. As the room quickly fell into darkness, Yi Sook turned the light on and saw Do Hwan. His eyes were red and puffy and his hair and clothes unkempt, Do Hwan looked messy.
"Are you back?" Yi Sook asked simply, struggling with the urge to scream. Do Hwan nodded silently. Yi Sook nodded back. "It wasn't your fault."
As if a switch had been turned on, Do Hwan burst into tears. He sobbed and sobbed while Yi Sook just watched him. The only sounds from the room came from Do Hwan's sobs, as Yi Sook let his tears flow silently.
"I want to hear it from you." Yi Sook's voice quivered. "Tell me what happened."
Do Hwan nodded and began talking. It was a mixture of rambling and tears, but how much ever he could recall, he let it all out. Do Hwan paused when he got to the part of him stabbing Ae Ra, but Yi Sook's gaze never wavered. Yi Sook motioned him to continue and Do Hwan did so, struggling himself. He then described the Emperor's return and them fighting off undead soldiers. Once Do Hwan was done, Yi Sook sat in silence for a minute.
"Now Aghui will never come back? Are we sure about that?" Yi Sook questioned once Do Hwan finished speaking. Do Hwan nodded.
"Good." Yi Sook looked at Do Hwan in the eye. "At least, Ae Ra's death isn't in vain."
"Yi Sook, my apology doesn't do anything but, I want you to know that I am sorry. I could not save her, I was incapable of even taking back the control Aghui had over me, and I.." Do Hwan sniffled. "I failed all of you. I am sorry."
Yi Sook motioned Do Hwan to sit by his side, and when Do Hwan did, he wordlessly hugged him. Do Hwan was shocked at the sudden display of affection, but hearing Yi Sook's soft sobs, Do Hwan hugged him tighter.
"You are a victim too, Do Hwan. All of us are. I'm sorry you had to go through everything. Ae Ra wouldn't... She wouldn't want you to blame yourself." As both of them sobbed together, their grief-stricken hearts seemed a bit at ease.

Yi Sook and Do Hwan sit and talk it out for hours into the night, with Yi Sook constantly reassuring Do Hwan and in turn Do Hwan consoling him. The conversation then shifted to Ae Ra's job at the Hotel Blue Moon, and Yi Sook had a question.
"Will you be looking for a new manager now?" 
"After what happened, I don't know." Do Hwan paused. "Besides, I don't know what will happen to me either."
"What do you mean something will happen to you?"
"As the owner of the Guest House, I am forbidden to harm any humans. You know how that turned out for me." Do Hwan let out a dry chuckle. 
"So, what, will you be killed?"
"It will be like I never existed in this world. Or any world. I cannot be reborn or be at peace. I will be turned to dust."

*

Do Hwan returned to the Hotel as the dawn broke, the Hotel finally at rest after a nightlong work. He entered to find Kyung dozing off on the desk. This brought back the first time he brought Ae Ra to the Hotel and smiled. Whatever had happened, he could not imagine leaving this place but alas, that is his punishment and only his to bear. He wordlessly made his way to the elevator and as the doors closed, Kyung woke up and straightened himself at the speed of light.
Mr. Ha was sat on the sofa across from Mrs. Park and both of them had exhausted looks on their faces. Do Hwan was apologetic to them. He essentially dumped all the work at the hotel without so much of a please or thank you. Noticing Do Hwan, both stood up but Do Hwan motioned them to sit back down.
"Was the day too hard?" Do Hwan asked, but Mr. Ha waved him off.
"It was just like any other day. Don't worry about it, Mr. Kim." Do Hwan nodded, satisfied by their reply. "I will be with you from tomorrow. Maybe your workload will decrease a little bit." Do Hwan said. Mrs. Park held tears in her eyes as she bowed to him.