XIV: The Lineup

Your forced to your knees, a harsh grip on your left shoulder

Your forced to your knees, a harsh grip on your left shoulder. The only light sources being the headlights of several cars and trucks. A hundred questions ran through your head. Who was this, and what did they want. You glanced over at Maggie, her faced drenched in sweat. You could see the pain hiding in her eyes. A man took position in front of your group, chatting away as you looked towards the ground. Avoid eye contact, that's what you'd always been told by Rick. A few minutes past before the RV door opened, the figure of a man coming into focus. He held a bat, propped up on his shoulder.

"Well well well, what do we have here." His voice echoed through the forest. Negan squatted before Rick, gripping his jaw.

"You must be Rick. And these must be your little friends, who you *let* kill my men." He emphasized the last 4 words, dramatic pauses between them. You glanced to the ground, noticing a beetle crawl by. As Negan talked and talked, walking back and fourth among the group, you focused on the bat he seemed to carry with more than simple pride. Visible chunks of whatever the hell he's used it on still remained. After a few moments, you snapped back into reality, realizing he was squatting right in front of you. He looked annoyed by your obliviousness.

"Are you sh*tting your pants yet?" He asked again, inching closer to your face. This made you shift backwards, tilting your head.

"No." You responded, trying to act as though you weren't scared out of your goddamn mind. Your response made him grin.

"That's right. Hide behind that fear." He said, standing up and looking down at you.

"Are you deaf?" You asked, gaining a little confidence. "I said I wasn't afraid of you." A man pushed you forwards from behind, causing you to fall to the ground.

"Easy now, Simon. Don't want to start the festivities just yet." Negan chuckled out.

"Now, you guys did one hell of a number on my guys." Negan started. "And I don't appreciate that. So I think it's only fair, I show you what the consequences of your actions look like." He walked to the end of line, looking down at all of us. He pointed his bat at Glenn, with a big smile.

"If any of you move, if any of you speak. This'll go so much worse for you. Now you can cry, lord knows you'll want to." He laughed.

"Eenie," He shifted his bat to point at Rosita. "Meenie," He continued this game, pointing his bat at every one of us. When it came your turn to look death in the eyes, you did just that. The barbed wired bat, only inches from your nose, and you still looked the man holding it in the eye. You swear you saw a glimmer of humanity before he moved on.

"Moe." He finally stopped, and without skipping a beat, slammed his bat down on the head of the chosen one. You hadn't looked yet, not until you heard the first blow. You turned your head to the left, seeing Glenn's bloody face staring back at you.

"Holy sh*t! You really took that. Look at that your eye, it's poppin out. Holy f*cking sh*t." Negan marveled at his work for a moment before slamming his bat down again, this time Glenn fell forwards.

Every fiber in your body burned, begging to try to stop him. But you knew better. So as Negan pounded down onto your best friends head, you stared at the ground. Around you, you could hear everyone start to cry.

Suddenly, without warning, Daryl sprung up and lunged towards Negan. His attempt was futile, he was grabbed by two men almost immediately.

"Now what the f*ck did I say?" Negan stepped back, he looked surprised by the defiance. "I told you not to f*cking move! And now, I'm going to have to make my point even clearer." He huffed, pinching his nose bridge. He looked back towards the group, and began to eye them.

Abraham had always been good at guessing games. So when you looked in his direction, and saw him saying his goodbyes to Sasha.. you knew what was coming.

Negan eyed Abraham for a moment, and the red head being who he was, said some snarky comment. You hadn't quite caught it, the whole experience was making you fade in and out.

Down came Negan's bat onto Abrahams head, the same pattern as before. After a few minutes of crying to yourself, you looked over at his victims. Both Glenn and Abraham, bodies laying on the blood soaked dirt. Their heads.. not even recognizable.

Negan took Rick into the RV, leaving the rest of your group with your captures. Nobody moved, not even Maggie. She just.. kneeled, her head hung low to the ground.

It's not clear how long Rick and Negan had been gone, but when they returned, it was obvious how this was going to end. The two spoke to one another, and next thing you knew Carl was the next one up.

"Anyone have a pen?" Negan asked, one of his men tossed him a marker. He slowly, and weirdly gently, pushed Carl towards the ground. He became a little more rough towards the end, pushing him forcefully down.

"Cut your kids arm off." He said, looking at Rick.

"W-what..?" Rick fumbled out.

"Cut. His arm off. He'll be fine, we've got doctors who can patch him up."

"N-no. No!" Rick exclaimed. "I won't, you've won okay. You've won."

"Oh I know I have. Now show me you do." Negan cut in, motioning towards Carl. "Either cut his arm off, or I'll kill all of you."

Ricks eyes widened, looking towards the line Negan had drawn on his sons skin. About mid fore-arm. Rick shook his head, hot tears streaming down his face.

"No! I won't'!" Rick screamed, his voice cracking. Negan tossed a hatchet in front of him.

"One." Negan said, nothing but calmness in his voice. Rick looked to the hatchet. No. You thought to yourself, chewing on your lip.

"Two." Negan continued, stepping behind Rick. Your breath picked up, you were terrified. Rick picked up the hatchet, his hands shaking. He shook his head, repeating no to himself.

"Don't make me say three." Negan warned, and Rick raised the hatchet. Just before he swung it down onto Carls arm, Negan chimed in.

"Alright that's enough. Get up kid." Negan said, and Rick stopped immediately. He looked to Negan, confusion in his eyes.

"Wha-?"

"Don't make me regret giving you guys a second chance." Negan said, clearing his throat. "I'll see you in a week. You better have a good haul for me." He said, walking in front of the group again. He stopped before you, tilting his head.

"And I'm taking her."

———

((A/N)) I know it's been a while and I apologize. I don't have a lot of motivation anymore I'll be honest.