Chapter Five

Chapter Five

     I find myself flinching at any noise other than our own footsteps. Loosen up, loosen up!  I say to myself. Adric senses my fear and grabs onto my hand. I suck in a deep breath and relief fills my lungs. A huge gust of wind passes us. We both back away quickly and look at each other in confusion. "What was that?" He says.

  "I don't know, be quiet." I whisper and let go of his hand. I follow the breeze.

  "Where are you going?" He whispers.

  "I'm going to see that that was."

  He walks up beside me and we keep walking.

  Get ready. I tell him

  He holds out his hands in front of him.

  "Hello?" I say, only loud enough for someone fairly close to us to hear.

  The same gust of breeze comes towards us but this time it stops in front of me. A girl is standing in front of me. I raise my hands and use the light to see her face. She looks to be about fourteen and has bleach blond hair. Her eyes are piercingly blue and a look of triumph is planted on her face. "I'm Veronica. Veronica Bethly." She extends her hand for me to shake.

  "Scarlet. Scarlet Edwards." I shake her hand.

  "I've heard about the powers you three have and I would like to make an alliance with you."

  "How have you heard?"

  "It's a small place in here, isn't it?"

  "I don't know, they wont turn on the fucking lights!" Adric complains.

  "That's Adric and beside him is Maxim." I gesture to them,

  She nods in their direction but she is only looking at Maxim. I ship it. I smile to myself. For a moment a piece of my old life found its way into this one, that's a miracle. "So about the alliance." She gets back to the topic.

  "I would love to. I'm guessing your power is super speed." I smile.

  "Yep, you've got that right." She smiles, imitating me.

  "Can I ask you a favor? It probably wont be so hard because of your super speed."

  "Yeah, sure. I have no idea what to do with myself, I might as well be doing good."

  "Do you remember the boy I came here with and the boy Adric came here with?"

  "Yea, the attractive one and the short stubby kid."

  "Well the attractive one is my boyfriend so he's taken and the other one is his brother. Also the girl I was with, she's my sister. Do you think you'd be able to find them?"

  "No problem, I'll be back in a minute."

  "A minute?" She's gone before she can answer my question. I look over to Adric and repeat myself. "A minute?" He shrugs.

  "So what do we do until she gets back?" Maxim asks.

  "Something tells me she won't be very long." Adric says.

  "Let's just wait here then." Maxim says.

  "Try to talk to Brian." Adric tells me.

  Brian? Someone is coming to get you. Trust them, she'll bring you to us.

  Nothing.