Chapter 45

If you had told Meredith that someone had taken up residence inside her brain and was jumping around on the inside, right now she would believe you without a doubt. It was also stifling warm, and she wouldn't be shocked if the room was on fire around her. She really didn't want to move, but she should probably check that wasn't the case.

She groaned slightly as she turned over, not brave enough to open her eyes yet, only to be met with more sweltering heat. She kicked at the blankets in an attempt to cool herself down, stopping when she realised it was a feeble attempt.

She couldn't even remember actually falling asleep. As she tried to think back to the previous night, arms tightened around her, and she started to panic. Had she gone home with someone?

Crap. Crap, crap, crap.

"Good morning." Derek's half-asleep voice instantly calmed her, but she was still confused as to how she even got there.

"What did I do?" She groaned again as she curled against what she assumed to be his chest, completely ignoring the fact when she'd last seen him sober, she'd been irrationally angry at him.

"Nothing bad." He chuckled softly as she felt his lips against the top of her head. "I like drunk Meredith."

"No, seriously, what did I do? I don't even remember coming here."

"You got a taxi here after Cristina ditched you for a guy, said you missed me." His hand curved against her jawline, encouraging her to look up at him as he pressed a kiss against her lips. "Tried to get me to have sex with you, but I convinced you to just sleep in the bed instead."

Her eyes started to open finally, meeting the blue of his as he watched her. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have... I didn't wake Maddie, did I?"

"No, you didn't, you only woke me." His hand stroked over her hair, pushing it back out of her face.

"Crap, I'm sorry. You have work, don't you?"

"I do, but it's okay." He murmured as he kissed her again. "I'm much better off knowing you were safe than getting a couple hours more sleep. Don't worry about it."

She released a soft sigh, melting into his kiss. "You're amazing sometimes."

"I know." His lips graced a half-smirk, and she couldn't help but roll her eyes. "Do ou have anything planned for today?"

"No, I'm free today." She brought a hand up to cover her mouth as she yawned, and then buried herself into him again. "Hence allowing myself to drink copious amounts of tequila."

"I have to be out of the house in an hour." He kissed the top of her head as he started to upll away to get out of the bed, but she clutched onto his hands to stop him. "Maddie is going to run in here any minute. Go back to sleep, you can stay in bed for as long as you need."

"But you're my heater." She pouted, having gotten used to his warmth, and pulled him back towards her.

"I wish I could stay, but if I don't move know there'll be a four-year-old umping on the bed, over-excited that her best friend is here." He chuckled, pressing a kiss to her lips, prying her hands from his.

She buried her face against the pillow, groaning in frustration as he climbed out of the bed. "Her best friend wants a cuddle."

"If she climbs into bed with you, there'll be no getting her out again." She heard him talk as he moved around the room, most likely getting himself dressed. "Feel free to meet us for lunch, or if you go home, come back for dinner."

"I'll think about." She yawned as she brought the duvet up closer around her, feeling the chill from Derek's absence.

She felt his lips touching her forehead, his hand smoothing over her hair. "I'll grab yo some water and Advil, go back to sleep."