Chapter Thirty

Dad's visit felt far too short.

I knew he had to leave so he could go to London to see Mum and still be back at the base on time, but I wanted him to stay longer. Neither of us knew when he would next be able to get a pass off base and we both knew he would be deployed. We both thought it strange he hadn't been already, but he said there had been a lot of training. If men were getting deployed to France soon, I knew Dad would probably be deployed too and that scared me.

"Thank you again for looking after Sybil, I know she can be a bit of a handful at times. You seem to have adapted to her rather quickly," Dad said, readjusting his grip on his kit bag.

"She's a great kid and has been an absolute God-send here, what with all the work we've had to do. We wouldn't have been able to do it without her," Jonathan said.

"Not just that, but the reading lessons, looking out for her since Sally and I can't, it means a lot. Once all this is over, we'll find a way to repay you."

"You don't have to do that," Barbara said, "it's our pleasure."

Dad smiled and looked at me, pulling me into one last hug and squeezing me against him until I felt like I would burst. The past few hours had been the best and I wasn't ready for it to end, even though I knew it had to. It had been six months since I had last seen Dad and our reunion ended just as fast as it had started, but I suppose that was the price we paid. I hoped the war would end soon so we could be a family again, the unit we had been all those months ago, but I had my doubts.

After a few seconds, Dad stopped hugging me and grabbed onto my upper arms, bending down until his face was level with mine. I could practically feel his breath.

"Be good, Sybil. I know you will, but what Dad would I be if I didn't remind you?" He chuckled. "I am so, so proud of you and the work you've done here, don't forget that. I'm going to tell Mum everything, even if you already have and I know she is going to be proud of you too."

"Do you have to go?"

He nodded. "I know, it feels like we only just met down in the village. I'll be back, I promise."

"You do?"

"Of course I do. I'll get another pass soon and the moment I do, I'll be right back here to find out what else you've been up to. You can count on that."

I smiled. "Can you say hello to Mum for me?"

"Definitely."

"I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too, little songbird."

"You don't want to miss your train," Jonathan said, checking his watch.

"Right." Dad released my arms and readjusted his kit bag again. "I'll see you soon, I promise."

"Bye, Dad."

Dad didn't say anything back but I could see on his face that he was holding back tears at the thought of having to leave again. He offered Jonathan and Barbara a slight wave, gave me a quick kiss on the forehead, and then strode off back down the mud path. I watched him go, focusing on him even when he began a silhouette in the distance. Before too long, he disappeared from view completely and I sighed, accepting that it will be months until I next see him.

Jonathan patted me on the shoulder and I heard the sound of his footsteps on the wooden flooring as he stepped back into the house. I stayed behind a little while longer, leaning against the door frame and staring over the bank where Dad had disappeared only moments ago. A small part of me wondered if he would turn around and come back or that by some miracle the war would be over before he could get deployed. I knew that would never happen.