Chapter Thirty-Five

Alec and I returned to the farm before dark, bidding each other farewell before Alec turned around and headed back home. I took Jigsaw down to the paddock and stable to untack, brush and then feed him; it had been a long day for both of us. Jigsaw appeared more than happy to return to his stall and Romeo looked pleased to have his friend back.

I walked up the track and back to the farmhouse, inspecting my clothes a little to make sure the water droplets had tried. Lucky for me, they had and Barbara and Jonathan needn't be any the wiser to our little escapades in the creek. Jonathan was bound to ask questions the moment I walked through the door so I ran through every possible question with potential answers in my head before I walked through the door. Even though nothing had happened, the less they knew, the better.

"How was your day?" he asked when I walked through the door and started to take my boots off. Goose bounded up to me and insisted on me fussing her before I could do anything else.

"It was good," I said, "I climbed a tree."

"First time climbing a tree?"

I nodded. "Mum never let me back home."

"You could climb onto a roof, but not a tree?"

"She wasn't happy with the roof, but since Dad would be there she relented. Climbing a tree was completely different in her estimation."

"Well, I'm glad you had fun." Jonathan smiled. "And the farm managed to survive without you for one day.

"Supper time," Barbara said, poking her head around the wall. "Unless you ate too much at the picnic, Sybil."

"Even if I did, there's always room for more food."

Jonathan laughed and I kicked off my boots, leaving them by the front door and following him into the kitchen where Barbara had started to place the plates down. Goose followed me, no doubt expecting to grab a few scraps from my plate if I were to offer them. Even if she had already been fed, her favourite thing to do was hound me for even more food. Sometimes I would slide her a slice of chicken when Barbara wasn't paying attention. Once, I caught Jonathan doing the same. Neither of us could resist the puppy-dog eyes

Both Jonathan and Barbara insisted I tell them all out about my picnic with Alec and what we had done. I knew why they had asked since Jonathan, and occasionally Barbara had been teasing me about it since Alec first asked. What they didn't know was that I had rehearsed all the questions and knew how to avoid them asking more than necessary. Of course, I told them about the tree and our trip to the creak but I didn't tell them about us going into the water or the weird feeling in my stomach when Alec had grabbed me around the waist.

I didn't want to tell them anything until I had figured it out for myself because I didn't understand any of it. Alec and I were friends. The only reason those thoughts had even crossed my mind had been because of Jonathan and Eva's relentless pushing and teasing that there might be something more. However, that did not explain the feeling in the pit of my stomach. Nothing explained that.

Even though Jonathan and I had discussed it that morning, I still didn't want to mention it and wouldn't until I knew what it meant. It might have meant nothing, it could have just been from the way he had spun me around so soon after eating. It could have been anything. I didn't want to think it could be something if it wasn't.

"You're miles away tonight," Jonathan said, closing the book and placing it on the table.

"Just tired. Long day and all," I said.

"Hm, is that it?"

"Why would it be anything else? Maybe we could try again tomorrow? I think I need to go to bed."