Chapter 8: Grace

Grace

Damn. During the entire party, none of us had seen or heard of Pear anywhere. Well, that's not true. We could hear people talking about how we were the group she was in and that it was clear we were hoping to find her there. I had searched high and low and I couldn't even figure out if she was there or not I the first place.

"We'll, at least we had fun." Dylan rubbed my back, reassuring me. I smiled at him and turned to rest my head on his shoulder.

"Yeah, and we even got to meet people that live outside the mansion." I laughed. "Like Vanessa."

"She's dangerous!" Tommy cheered, making all of us laugh.

"Well she is an Eliminator. It's her job." I nodded in confirmation.

"I want to be an Eliminator!" Declared Ana, throwing her hands up in the air.

"Sure you do." Blaze mumbled, and I giggled. Ana has already declared that she wanted to be a Mage, Fire-arm, Bait, and a Tracker. Where she would actually end up, no one knows.

"Becky, what about you?" I asked the strawberry blonde I saw as my daughter. She seemed to think about it for a brief moment, then simply shrugged. I playfully rolled my eyes and shook my head. Ever the quiet one she is. With me raising her, I'm not even sure how that was possible. Like Ares always says, I don't know when to shut the hell up. "Tommy? I turned to the little boy.

He already knew his answer. "Something dangerous!" I smiled and playfully rolled my eyes. Of course he would say that. Even though they hadn't started training yet, Blaze often told the twins stories of what the slayer community was like, especially the fights we get in. Tommy adored Blaze and his stories. Sometimes I wonder if he will end up being just like Blaze. I swear if that little boy starts calling me Princess.....

"Anyways," I said, swaying my thoughts away from their current road and to the original topic. "Vanessa seems nice."

"She does." Dylan nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, I guess." Mumbled Blaze. Ares sat in silence.

I replayed meeting her in my head, and introducing her to my friends. Then I remembered talking to councilman Wayman, and zoning out a little, noticing how everyone was talking to people in different divisions, which didn't happen a lot. I met a lot of people. I cocked my head to the side slightly as a thought came to me. I turned my head slightly, just enough so I was looking up at Dylan but my head was still on his shoulder.

"I didn't get to meet your dad and Callie." I pouted.

"That's because they weren't there." He smirked in amusement at my expression and kissed my forehead. "My dad tries to keep Callie away from the slayer community, at least for a little longer."

"Good luck with that." We heard Ares scoff under his breath, but I knew to ignore it. We knew that if he had a choice, he would have let Pear be normal, and not a slayer.

"Isn't she Becky's age?" I asked. I'm pretty sure I remembered him mentioning that his dad fully intended to make Callie a slayer in the future.

He nodded, confirming my words. "He wants to wait one more year, when she's thirteen." I nodded in understanding.

By the time we got back to the mansion, it was late, but not quite midnight yet. I had promised the kids they could stay up late and watch the New Year's ball drop in New York on TV before they had to go to bed, so I turned the channel to exactly that.

I sat on the large couch, and the kids surrounded me, Becky on my left, and the twins on my left.

"5!" We all chanted in sync as the ball began to drop. "4! 3! 2! 1! Happy! New Year!"