Chapter 4

A/N: Image is Dominic. 

~~~

Radiance's POV

It was with our backs pressed to the oak floorboards beneath us, Indie and I lay attempting to catch our breath after our tickling fest when we heard our names being called from downstairs, telling us it was time for dinner. Hand in hand we skipped down the stairs; laughing and giggling as we made our way towards the large dinner table whilst singing—terribly off-key might I add—'what makes you beautiful' by the notorious One Direction. 

Just as we reached the last verse we turned and locked eyes, still holding hands with me squatted down to Indie's height. Indie and I giggle and curtsied dramatically as her parents and the other guest sitting around the dining table chuckle and applaud us. 

Reaching the dining table, I take a seat in between Dominic and another boy so that Leanne is sitting across from me. Not a heartbeat later, my lap is vacated by Indie and a middle-aged man—Indie's father I'm assuming—scolds her gently and says that guests are not chairs. 

I softly reassure him that Indie is fine where she is. "She actually reminds me of my little brother Benny..." I trail off as thoughts of my six-year-old brother enter my mind and tears immediately spring to my eyes. 

I watch as Mr. Maxwell's features soften into a sad expression before he nods, a simple confirmation that as long as I am okay with the situation he will not argue.

I smile at him, tears still blurring my vision, before I notice someone missing at the table. Leanne must have noticed my darting eyes and the confused expression and answers my silent question: "Noah is out... with friends" she comments with a tense smile and that, paired with the pause in her speech causes me to believe that this is an excuse.

Tilting my head I stared at her, curious. What reason would she have to lie to me? Deciding to ignore it, I look at the delicious meal before me as Indiana—still placed comfortably on my lap—digs into her own meal. I would just confront Noah myself later.

Hours later, I lay in Noah's bed but he is still not home from being with his 'friends'. I begin to doze off as the events of the day catch up to me and exhaustion seeps into every cell of my body. Just as I begin to close my heavy lids the creak of the door opening jerks me upright.

I force my eyes open to find Noah standing before me with a guilty expression contorting his handsome features. "Where were you?" I ask, my voice hoarse from lack of sleep. 

Like Leanne earlier, he hesitates before responding. "I went for a run."

My brows rose in surprise as I stare at him with suspicion. If you're going to lie about where you have been you should at least make up a believable cover story. Like please, he wasn't covered in an ounce of sweat. "That's not what your mum said."

He stumbles over his next words, "Oh, right, yeah, what, um, what did she say?"

Just to test him further I lie. "That you went to the grocery store..."

"Oh yeah, I was. She needed me to buy the ingredients for her famous bundt cake and I ran there. You know, kill two birds with one stone."

I wanted to laugh at catching him in a lie but I restrain myself and refuse to say another word as he undresses, his boxers the only piece of clothing he wears as he slides into bed beside me. He whispers the words, "Night, Angel," before kissing my forehead, but I cringe and shift away. Not really wanting to lay in bed with a guy I barely knew I wait for Noah to fall into a deep asleep before I crawl out of the bed, grabbing a rug and pillow as I leave the room before making my way to the lounge.