25

As Elissia waited in her cupboard, she was given chores. Wiping away the ash on her face, she clung to the fur on her coat. The heat radiated onto her, but she dare not let it drop. There was moment of silence as she walked out of her cupboard. All the maids looked at her, then slowy went into conversation. The head chef walkd up to her, slapping her hood.

"That'll teach you to behave." The man chuckled, grabbing her hood. Elissia desperatly clung to the hood with fear it would reveal her. "Look at this wench!" He bellowed in the hall. "She seems ever so fearful." Elissia struggled, grasping the hood with her life. This wasn't how her story went. They knew that. She knew that. So why were they doing this to her?

***

I rode the horse into disaster. My kingdom was littered with broken branches and glass. An erie fog looomed over the battlefield. Fortunately, no people were on there. I called out, pushing the rocks in my stomach further down. I made a quick desicion and started my horse through the dark mist.

My castle looked grave then ever. Village people were inside their houses hiding from the darkness. I leaped off the horse, pulling it to a trough. I knocked on the nearest door in our village. A small boy answered, looking at me familiar.

"I need a cloak. Please, I will pay any price." I tried smiling. He grabbed my arm, pulling me in. A woman sat on a wooden stool, sewing a tapestry.

"Mama, I found someone." He grinned.

"Not now, Jack." She sighed, not turning around.

"Mama, it's someone you would want to meet. I think she's the princess." He smiled as I cringed at the word. The woman whipped around, letting her needle hang on a thin thread. She had kind old brown eyes, with dark brown hair with streaks of grey that fell to her shoulders. A hint of freckles dotted her cheeks and her skin.

"A princess, Jack? You couldn't have told me sooner?" I heard the tone in her voice, presuming this woman ran a strict household. "I'm so sorry for the mess. I would have cleaned up. You've probably seen better." She began to ramble, as she inspected my looks. My boots were worn and dirty along with my dress. I was taller, for my age, then her. My hair had bit of leaves, and my hands had scars. I didn't look like a princess, but these people they thought I was a savior. "What do you need, dear?" She sighed, ending her long conversation.

"I need a cloak, if possible." I offered a smile. She grabbed my arm, shoving me toward a hallway in her small, little house.

"I make many things, dear. Many sewn things to be exact. I try to sell them, but it's hard with Jack's father gone, most likely at a pub, and dirty customers knowin' his fathers reputation." She dragged me into a room, small footsteps came from the hall. She turned around to stare at Jack.

"Now, then. Go to your room. I need to talk to her Highness." She shooed him off. "Be quiet!" She watched him walk toward the hall.

"Yes, mama." He replied, trudging up to his room. The mother brushed her hands on her apron, pulling herself at a candle.

"I never asked your name." I questioned her. She waved her hand.

"Oh, please dear." She smiled. "My name is Idna." She began to take the candle, slowly lighting each other candle in the room until it was all lit. Around me, and on the floor, were many patterns, spools of thread, pin cushions, and fabric. She snatched a measurment tape and quickly estimated me. "What color?" She asked, absorbing herself in threading the needle.

"I don't mind. Surprise me." I replied, excited. She began to mutter to herself.

"It'll be done by the morning. For now, go and rest. You'll need it."

"How do you-?"

"Miss, the whole kingdom has been worried sick for you. We waited for your approaching. The battle is about to begin. So, please Princess, go lie down. You may sleep in my room."

"But don't you need your room?"

"I won't be sleeping tonight. I'm too excited!" She pulled up a mannequin, and began to knot her string.

As I trudged up the crammed staircase, I came upon an open door. Assuming that was her room, I walked to the bed, laying down. That was the first time I slept well in a long time.

***

Elissia trudged to her small bowl. It was all she needed to make the potion, but not enough. She spread a dash of her hair inside and began to sprinkle the ingredients.

Malkia was a foolish sorceress. She began to think.

But she was braver than you. Another part of her mind acknowledged.

How?

She confronted her prey, whereas, you never did. You're just a coward in a lions body.

I never was. She was foolish for the exact reason. She got what she deserved.

Maybe since she never commited her revenge, you never will. Her mind began to make her dizzy. She stood straight up, and balled her fists until her knuckles turned white.

"I'll show you. I was never a coward." She screamed into the air, stirring the potion mindlessly. Alomst immeadiatly, the concoction vibrated. It bounced off of the table, breaking. Elissia stood still and began to chant, hearing her voice echo through the catacombs.

Remue æsir, hækka að vild,

verja mig gegn ljósi,

verja mig að vild.

Gefðu mér kraft,

eða gefa mér dauða,

Ég er drottning af þér að eilífu.

Suddenly, a strong fog collected. Screams began to vibrate from the liquid. The strong mist fleed into the air outside, creating a storm. Lightning flashed, from what Elissia could see. A strong amount of wind currents erupted, blowing away trees and homes. Then it faded, leaving everything as quiet and peaceful as before.

But her work wasn't done. It never was.