14

"But... But..." Peter stuttered. He seemed to feel as if he lost his voice. Today the Queen wore a dress that was black and red checkered, with elbow-length sleeves. Her gown had white fabric that went from the middle of the dress to the bottom, the outer sides were made of gold. Her face was powdered a pale white, only with a hint on tan skin. Her cheeks were a light red, and her lips were a bright red. Her black hair was pulled into a tight bun at the top of her head, with her crown surrounding the bun. Her light hazel eyes were staring furiously at Peter. In her hand, she pointed the golden scepter at him.

"Honey." Another man walked out. He was a bit on the heavy side, his salt and pepper hair was below a large gold crown. He wore red tights, a gold, red, and black checkered top, along with a frill at the neck. His red velvet cape fell along the stairs. "We discussed that every Neverlander must have a perfectly good reason to visit, my dear." He ran his fingers in his beard.

"Well," She mocked Peter. "What is your hopeful reason. Get on with it!"

"Your Majesty, if I may speak," Ana croaked. "We are on a quest to find Elissia, as you may know. My friends and I are just trying to find our way back to defeat her. I know how much you care about your power over your country, and you realize Elissia will give you none."

The Queen seemed to have a debate with herself over the issue.

"I understand. I will house you for today and tonight as long as you do not get in my nerves, and this," The Red Queen pointed a finger at Peter, "will respect my rules in my kingdom." Peter groaned.

"None of this nonsense, boy!" She yelled at him.

"Like you aren't all about nonsense!" He remarked back at her.

"You're this close-"

"Peter, perhaps we should thank Her Majesty for letting us stay the night." I spoke to him softly.

"Thank you." He muttered. The Queen led us inside, with her husband following. We stopped in the dining hall, which was of course, red.

"At precisely 6:30, you will dine here or not eat at all. At 7:00, we will have a party to celebrate your coming. You have your clothes in your room that I suggest you wear tonight. My maids have prepared the guest quarters for tonight. Leave your weapons in there, I would not like any violence tonight." She glared at Peter. "Go. Do what you please. In an hour, my maids will prepare you for tonight. Off you go!" She shooed us away with the wave of her hand. The White Rabbit came in leading us to our rooms.

"I don't like it." Peter whispered into my ear. "I just don't."

"What?" I whispered back.

"Well, she knew we were coming at a certain time. Then, she comes to tell us we have to be ready by a certain time for a 'ball'."

"Maybe she enjoys parties." I suggested.

"Yeah. Maybe she does." He looked back at Ana and Greta who were yapping away about their quests.

The White Rabbit escorted us into our rooms. Peter's was first, then Ana's, Greta's, and lastly mine. Before we went in, we made an agreement to meet up in the same hall. Just to check things out. When the door to my room opened, the first thing I noticed was how clean it was. It wasn't red, like everything else was, it was white. I noticed the white wardrobe in the corner, and presumably, the door to the bathroom. Then the bed. It was a simple bed, with white sheets and wooden posts. I made my way to the wardrobe.

It was a sleek white wood. The silver handles were beautifully carved. I touched the handle, and pressed it open. I couldn't help but be mesmerized by the dresses. There were gowns of silver, white, red, and black. Below were shoes of clear, red, silver, and again, black. Same for the cloaks and night dress. Then a door creaked open. My head whipped around, and by instinct, I drew my sword, which I hid from the Red Queen.