12

The Unknown

Inside the black, coal, cauldron, swirled a dark purple fog. The center swirled, until it revealed a murky center. The picture cleared to reveal who Malkia wanted to see the least.

"Hello, Eris." Malkia cursed under her breath at the Snow Queen.

"You too, Malkia." Her pale skin in the dark, shone like a snow at night. Her ice blue eyes stared straight into the fog that protected Malkia.

"I have orders to talk to Her Majesty." Eris kept her lips tight.

"It seems she is not here. Tell me so that I may send the message to her."

"And why should I trust you?"

"Because we both want the same thing." Malkia's lips curled into a grin. "Revenge."

"Fine. Tell the Queen that I have spotted the princess and her friends. They seem to be in Neverland. It's a treacherous place, sadly I couldn't go to appease her Majesty. But they are being followed by my best wolf. I promise they will be found, alive."

***

I slept good, other than the ten times I woke up to pain in my hand.When I woke up, it was hard getting out of the hammock. It's vines swayed and held me tight under my weight. When I did get out, minutes later, I went to pretty much the only place I knew. The medical room.

I adjusted my sheath, and walked in. It was empty, but easier to see in the morning light. The same bottles were up high on the millions of shelves that stored them. The stump was still there. But the only thing that I couldn't see last night was a small little house in the corner, held in a little nook in the tree.

The house had a leaf roof, and bark for the sides. Small circular windows were cut out, along with a tiny door made out of twigs. I peered inside the quire house, only to find a small bed made out of cotton, a stool of thread, and a jagged piece of mirror. I knew whose bedroom this was instantly.

What are you still doing here? I turned back, noticing the small ball of light in front of me.

I thought you went home.

"Um. No. Peter told me to rest with my injury."

How odd. Peter never told me that he told you that. He tells me everything.

"Is everything all right Tinker Bell?"

I never did tell you about my secret.

"What secret?"

It was four years ago... I used her skills of talking to get away. I found Ana on the tree branch swaying.

"We need to go. Now." I ordered her.

"Why?" She pulled herself up, walked toward me. I grabbed her hand, which pulled her with me to find Peter. He was resting in a bedroom that was carved in the tree. I didn't have the time to admire the exquisite carvings on the wall.

"Peter. Come on, wake up!" I pushed him into the floor.

"What's the matter?" He grumbled, lulling himself up.

"We need to get out of the tree. It's Tinker Bell. She's not acting like herself." Just at the wrong moment, Tink came through the door. Even with a ball of light, something didn't exactly seem, well, right. After that thought, the golden light fell to the floor, the color turning to a pale blue. I looked up and found myself face to face with the Snow Queen.

"What an alarming surprise to see you here, no?" She thrusted her hand out, as the staff formed in her hand. "Guards, I believe it's time to take the prisoners."

At the end of her last word, I saw a sharp steel blade go straight to her heart. Instead of leaking blood, frost gathered on the sword. The queen gasped, turning into a solid frozen statue. Peter looked to see what was behind her, shielding Ana and I. He revealed a girl with light blonde hair, braided to her back. She wore a grey fur dress, along with fur boots. A black sash went across her waist. On her neck was a necklace. A chain with a heart. The heart was frozen with ice. Her light pink lips frowned.

"Shame. I didn't get the information I needed." She said.

***

"Who are you?" Ana gasped.

"I'm Greta of the Northern Kingdom."

"What brings you to Neverland?" Peter asked.

"A simple quest." Her fingers touched the small charm.

"What for?"

"To find my best friend, Kai. I was told the Snow Queen has him. For years I've been tracking her, until I found out what happened in the Unknown. Then I started to realize why I couldn't find her. The dark magic is so strong here, it covers her scent. When I found you travelers, I knew Kai must be with you." She smiled, hoping for answers. She looked at Peter.

"I see." She whispered, her smile faded. "Well, then, I suppose we have to find him."

"Wait. We?" Peter said, clearly astonished.

"I killed the Ice Queen for you, when she was about to kill you. You owe me."

"Yes, I understand. But please, we have to continue on our quest, the least we could do is let you journey with us." I said.

"Thank you. Much grateful, your Highness." She bowed.

"Wait, what? No, I'm not-"

"Oh. Please forgive me. I thought you were the princess."

"Well..." I started to debate with myself. "Yes. I am Quinnalyn of the Eastern Kingdom, etc. But please do understand, I go by Quinn and must conceal my identity." Greta nodded like a little puppy obeying the rules.

"Well then, we must begin our journey." I said, forcing a smile across my face.

***

Greta grabbed her sword from the queen, which pulled out easier than I expected. We went down to the base of the tree to gather supplies. We had what we needed mostly on us, except for food and water. Peter grabbed a bag from their kitchen, four cups, and fairy dust. Sprinkling the dust over the supplies, he muttered a cantation. The objects didn't lift, but merely only stayed still. He pushed the cups into the small pouch, and pulled out a few plates. Sprinkling some more fairy dust, he whispered another cantation. The plates loaded with food, just enough for all of us. We ate our breakfast, discussing our quest. By the end of eating, the plates cleared themselves, and Peter stuffed them back inside the pouch.

Walking outside, the temperature seemed to drop 100 degrees. The land, from what I could see, was snow or ice. Frost crept along the grass in a silvery haze. The sea was frozen to the edge of my vision. Fog crept among the kingdom. Slowly, snow fell from the clouds.

"She cursed it." Greta whispered. It seemed we were all clutching a cloak.

"What?" Peter asked.

"When the Snow Queen died, her spirit went into the Unknown, like all villains. But before, she cursed the land for eternal punishment of breaking the laws of your story."

"Clearly, letting other characters into a land upsets them, am I right?" Peter asked with a shrug.

"Clearly." Greta sighed. I could sense tension between herself. She was on the verge of giving up when she found us. Her quest for Kai was a failed quest to her. I couldn't help but feel sad. We moved down into the forest to get on track. With what felt like hours, we stopped. Peter looked around with an expression.

"We need to run. Now. We need to break free of Neverland, and get into regular time."

"Why?" Ana asked, aching from her walk.

"Because certain people are trying to kill us currently at the moment." Peter sassed at us. Sure enough, footsteps echoed in the woods behind us. We did the most reasonable thing we were able to do. We ran.