8

The wolves growled and made their way toward us. Their silver fur glinted in he sun.

"Why are you going after us?" Ana pleaded, snatching the basket.

"It's not you, dear, it's my orders."

"Malika." I whispered, backing into the tent.

"Oh yes. She promised me a great fortune with you dears. My wolves have been aching for the taste of blood." She cackled, and turned into a flurry of snow. The wolves inched closer toward us. I stood in fear, while Ana ran.

"Come on." Peter barked, grabbing my wrist, and making me follow the footprints. We ran, but could still hear the wolves behind us barking and snapping their teeth. The forest led us down a series of paths, each one winding more around than the previous way.

"This way." Ana pointed. The animals were farther than before, and not able to hear footsteps. We ran to find ourselves on the edge of a cliff. Below us sat a lake of water. Adrenaline raced through my body, pulsing and pushing. I feared the jump, not knowing how deep the lake was.

"Found you." The Snow Queen awaited us, along with her wolves. "How long I have waited for this moment." Her sharp blue eyes bored into us. The wolves pounced.

"Jump!" Peter screamed, grabbing our hands. Then a sudden jerk stopped me, disconnecting our hands. I hung at the edge of the cliff, my feet dangling in mid air. My eyes stared at them falling rather quickly.

"Ah. A damsel in distress, I see." Her cold voice brought chills down my back. I remembered my sword, and slowly brought it up. I grabbed my cloak, and drew my sword towards the wolf. As soon as the blade reached the snout, the wolf dissipated into a pile of snow. I dropped.

"I will get you for killing my wolf!" She screamed. I fell toward the blue sea. Dropping down, it felt like flying, in a way. My body almost howled in pain as soon as I hit the water. The water was warm, yet seemed refreshing if not falling from the top. I opened my eyes, trying to swim up. The weight of everything on me dropped me further towards the bottom. I felt myself losing oxygen, and knew it was over. On the verge of giving up hope, a hand grabbed mine, pulling me up.

I couldn't see who it was, much less describe her, other than her hand felt warm, and a little clammy. I reached the top, only to take a deep inhale.

"Are... are... are you okay?" I turned my view toward the stuttering girl. Her hair was silver, and glinted in the sunlight, her eyes were a friendly sea foam. She wore a sapphire blue bra. She looked around 13, especially for her kind-like face.

"Why did you save me?" I asked.

"Because, I know why you are here. I am not much different than you. Also, I want you to continue." She smiled, and forced me toward the edge of the cliff where soft sand was. Further toward the edge, I noticed a small campfire inside a cave. I instantly knew it was my companions.

"Quinn!" Ana ran toward the water, Peter followed. I made my way onto the shore in my soaking wet dress. I gave them a hug. The girl watched quietly.

"Who are you?" Peter asked with intent.

"My name is Wish." She smiled, slowly moving backwards.

"What are you?" Ana whispered. The girl's face turned white. I never noticed the silver glint from the water.

"I am a..." She hesitated, taking a break. "A mermaid. My story is the Little Mermaid." She waited for something to occur. Now, I knew why the girl never told me what she was. Now, I knew why she didn't tell me. She knew she would die, or turn to sea foam.

"I'm so sorry." If it was possible, a silver tear came from her eye.

"Good luck with your quest." She nodded goodbye, flashing her silver tail, and went into the depths of the ocean. The sun started to set, making a golden haze in the sky. The fire in the cave burned down, and wool blankets were set out. We ate in silence.

"We need to set a look out." Ana broke the silence.

"I nominate myself." Peter looked bravely toward the ocean. Ana and I laughed. "I seriously do. Both you girls need sleep." He smiled. About thirty minutes passed by, and we were tucked inside our blankets. Peter sat outside staring at the blackened sea. Little white dots glittered in the reflection, which just happened to be stars. I fell asleep to the sound of Peter's pipes.
****
Okay. So I have recently decided to do little mini check ups on you guys, and tell you a little of what's going on with me. As you [probably] know, I love to write. And I'm so excited!!!! Our English class is starting a Writer's Workshop, where we just get to write. It's the best. It's nearing testing time, for our school, so all the teachers are like, "TEST HERE. YOU LIKE TESTS? I GIVE YOU TEST. GET 100% OR FAIL IN LIFE." Okay, I exaggerated a tiny bit. But it's like super stressful.
Then, I am doing this assembly thing where I have to speak with a microphone in front of others.
(insert: embarrassment)
So, Yep. So far, that's this week. I'm hoping to update faster, because I'm almost done with this book, and I'M SO EXCITED. THERE ARE GOING TO BE PLOT TWISTS, AND ADVENTURE, AND HOPEFULLY SOME HUMOR, MAYBE, UNLESS YOU'RE A PERSON WHO LOVES BORING THINGS.
Question of the week: Anyone have a favorite fairytale?
A: I would have to say, the original Sleeping Beauty. It's the closest Disney came to the original fairy tale. Another unknown fairytale would have to be the Goose Girl. That story started this book.
Comment, like, and add to your library!
-SJ