𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 39.

The snow was so heavy she could barely see and the strong wind blowing into her face was only making it harder for her.

"The girl got out! I don't care what David says, kill her on the spot!" She heard a man shout from a not so far distance and she quickly jumped through a window into one of the houses.

She walked through, grabbing few supplies before she noticed one of David's men outside the window. He was turned to her with his back so she took the opportunity, to jump out and grab him from behind, snapping his neck.

His body was immediately burried into the thick snow and after she took his dagger, Makayla continued to make her way through the village.

Her teeth were chattering and her hands were slowly going numb from the cold weather. She definitely liked winter more than summer but David was right before, this winter was especially cruel although it was slowly ending.

"I sent more men out. We gotta get her!"

Someone shouted and Makayla became alerted, jumping through a window of another house and she exhaled heavily when she felt how warm it was inside. It was a nice feeling.

She quickly grabbed as many things as she could, searching for a different weapon, something more useful like a gun but there was none.

She noticed a lot of broken plates on the ground as she walked by a big fireplace, enjoying the warmth some more before she went for the exit.

But as soon as she opened the door, David pushed her back inside and since she wasn't expecting it she fell backwards, snapping her head to look at him as he stepped inside and shut the door behind him before locking them.

"It isn't hard to track you in this snow." David declared stepping closer and Makayla reflexively stood up.

"There's no way to go. If you want out, you gotta come get these keys." He showed her the keys and put them in his pocket.

Makayla fummed, looking at him with her eyebrows furrowed and teeth gritted. And as she was about to launch at him he shot at her but she managed to dodge the bullet and hide behind one of the dining boxes.

"Great.." she mumbled to herself ironically.

"Where are you hiding.." he said as sneakily as he could before he started walking around and Makayla took that as an opportunity to follow him while she was still staying out of his sight.

She was crouching, slowly getting closer and when she was close enough she grabbed onto her knife and jumped on him from behind.

She saw him take out a long machette but she quickly kicked it from his hands and they started full on fighting while David kept trying to pin Makayla on the ground.

Her whole focus was on him but she couldn't miss the sudden sounds of gunshots coming from the outside.

"Giving up just isn't your style is it?" He groaned once he was on top of her.

"You can try begging!" He shouted into her face.

"Fuck you.." Makayla choked out, looking around and her gaze focused on the machette next to them.

"You have no idea what I'm capable of.." and just as he said that she grabbed a hold of the machette, stabbing it into his shoulder, making him fall off of her and she quickly got on top of him stabbing him pell-mell until his blood covered her face.

She kept going, not stopping when a pair of strong arms ripped her off of him.

"Don't fucking touch me!" She kicked the man, making him stumble backwards for a second but he was right in front of her again, pulling her body to his.

"Makayla, it's okay, it's me, it's me." He took her bloody face in his large palms trying to get her to focus.

And once she wiped the blood from her eyes she could now see him clearly.

Joel was kneeling next to her with a worried expression on his face.

"Fuck Joel.." she whined, shaking her head and he pulled her head to his chest

"Oh babygirl..." he breathed, not letting go of her.

"It's okay now. It's okay." He said into her hair and then they both pulled away but he still had a hold of her face as her pulled her in and placed a kiss on her forehead before speaking up,

"We got a clear way to get outta here."

"Yeah.. let's go." Makayla nodded and they both stood up.

Joel grabbed her hand, pulling her outside with him.

....

They found a house to stay the night.

Joel was laying in the bed while Makayla was sleeping on his hard chest. They were fully clothed since it was freezing.

He looked down at her. She finally looked at peace after all that happened.

And she really was at peace. Because there was no other place where she'd feel safe other than his arms.

...

"Makayla!!"

Joel's shouting voice made her snap back to reality, "Did you hear me?!" He asked, waving his arms in the air.

"No. What?" Makayla looked at him.

"Look. The hospital. This is where we get off."

Makayla looked at the board.

"Let's go." He called out and started walking forward and Makayla followed him without a word.

"Ya can really feel the breeze huh? On a day like this I'd just sit on my porch, pick away at my six-string.Yeah, once we're done with this whole thing I'm gonna teach you how to play guitar. Whaddya say huh?" Joel asked and looked at Makayla but she was hypnotizing the ground under her feet, not really paying attention.

"Makayla I'm talkin' to you." He demanded and she finally looked up at him, "Huh? Oh yeah that sounds great."

She said, giving him a half smile but soon she got lost in her thoughts again and she gulped hard to make the tears coming to the surface dissapear.

Because how was she supposed to tell him this will be the last stop

Because how was she supposed to tell him this will be the last stop. And that he will leave this city without her...