Chapter 16

August

Six blissful, perfect months have passed for Ryan and me, and now we are back to where it all began...Daytona.

So much has happened in those six months. I gave up my apartment and moved in with Ryan. We both thought it was silly that I was paying rent for a place I never stayed in, so I made the move. I was practically living in his house anyway, might as well go all in. Best decision ever. Well, one of my best decisions.

Things were looking great on a professional standpoint as well. Some of my previous PR experience was being put to use, and I was now helping out the PR team, which allowed me to spend even more time with Ryan. It also gave me time to hang out with my friends, since I was only assisting, so it really was the best of both worlds.

Ryan has been putting together a very nice season. A win in March at Atlanta locked him into the playoffs early. Another win last week at Michigan gave him his first ever multi win season of his cup career and this weekend's race he is being talked about as one of the favorites since he is one of the top super speedway racers. It's also the last race before the playoffs begin, and he's sitting pretty right now.

Erik has no longer been a problem either. Since the Daytona road course when I slapped him, he has been very low key. He has not spoken to either Ryan or me, but he did stop being a thorn in Ryan's side on the race track. I don't know if it's because his car owner had a talk with him or the fact that he has been seeing someone. Maybe. Possibly. He had a girl with him at last week's race in Michigan, which is his home track. Maybe he's moved on and gotten over it.

This morning, the driver's were all in a meeting, so it was just Sturgill and me. Although it was hot outside, I had finished all of my work and decided to take him for a walk.

While Sturgill was sniffing around, I took a few moments to look around and take everything in, thinking about how different my life was six months ago. I wasn't really paying attention, which is why I was nearly knocked down by the large German Shepherd who charged at me. I managed to catch myself before I fell on my face, and laughed giddily as the dog attacked me with kisses.

"Oscar. Hey buddy. I've missed you sooo much." I exclaimed, sitting on the ground and flinging my arms around his furry neck, trying to avoid getting licked in the mouth. Never mind that this was Erik's dog, I had really missed this lovable goober. One of the hardest things about breaking up with Erik had been giving up the bond I had formed with his dog. Sturgill, who was mere feet away, caught on to the excitement, and bounded over to greet his old friend.

"I am so sorry. He just got away from me. Are you okay?"

I looked up to see a pretty blonde with a worried expression on her face. This was the same girl that I had seen with Erik last week.

"I'm fine. Oscar is an old friend." I laughed, picking myself up off the ground and looking up at the young woman, who stood a few inches taller than my 5'2" height.

"I figured he must know you. As soon as he saw you and your dog, he bolted and yanked the leash right out of my hand. I'm Tessa, Erik's girlfriend, and you obviously know Oscar." She introduced herself.

"It's nice to meet you. I'm Laynie. I'm Ryan Blaney's girlfriend, and this is his dog Sturgill."

Her smile dropped slightly, almost as if I had said I was Erik's ex girlfriend.

"Oh...hi." She said, her face reddening slightly, and I figured she knew who I was, and most likely, Erik had nothing nice to say about me. I don't know why I cared so much, but I had long ago forgiven Erik, and I didn't want his girlfriend to hate me just because of what happened between Erik and me.