Chapter 88

(TW: Abuse Themes)

"Mr Simpson, I am arresting you on suspicion of murder and child abuse". You read him his rights and marched him over to the patrol car, then shoved him in the back.

"Where is my DAUGHTER–"

"You'll never see your daughter again". You slammed the door and Jackson got out of the patrol car. You explained what was going on and told him to lock him up at the station. You then went over to Hank and Connor.

"Kid, whats happening? Did he fucking kill someone?" Hank asked. You nodded. "He's taken Eva's mum to the woods, I think he's buried her. She kept talking about a swing and a lake. The kids been beat up and–" you stopped to swallow the lump in your throat.

"(y/n)?" Connor said. "We gotta get her somewhere safe, now" you insisted, running back into the house. Connor ran in after you and pulled at your shoulder.

"Hey, slow down. Look at me" he said, turning you around. You stared at the ground. He lifted your chin up and furrowed his eyebrows.

"Do you want to stay outside for a minute? This sounds like a more difficult case than we thought" he asked. He was always more worried about you then anything, and you loved him for it. You smiled up at him. "Thank you Con, but I'm okay. I promised her I'd be straight back". You kissed his cheek and he watched you as you ran back up the stairs. You walked into Eva's room and saw her showing Tina her dolls. You chuckled.

"You're back!" Eva smiled. She got up from the floor and quickly ran over to you and grabbed your hand. She pulled you over to where Tina was sitting.

"Look at my dollies! Mommy got them for me" she beamed. She suddenly seemed so happy, which broke your heart. She had no idea she'd never see her mom again. You gulped back a lump in your throat and knelt down beside her and Tina. You and Tina chuckled to each other.

"What are their names then?" You asked Eva. She pointed to each one as she said their names.

"Flower...Pretty...Daffodil...Wendy...and Mommy". I can't cope with this. What the hell do I do?

"Which one's you?!" You asked. Eva gasped and you chuckled. "I think I want to be Daffodil" she said. "Okay! You're Daffodil then!" You smiled. Eva started playing with her dolls and seemed pretty preoccupied. You and Tina stood up and moved to the other side of the room.

"Hey, are you okay? I know this is awful, but you look devastated. Do we know where her mom is?" Tina whispered to you. You gave her a nervous nod and she frowned. "...Where is she?" She asked. You took a deep breath.

"He killed her" you whispered, choking back tears. Tina covered her mouth and you gave her a sad smile. You put an arm around each other and stood there together for a moment. "What the hell do we do? She's just lost both her parents" you murmured. Tina shook her head.

"...I don't know. Maybe she has family that can take her in?" You nodded. "She might do. But why did nobody report her mum as missing? She's been gone 4 days". Tina's eyes widened and you nodded. "...Maybe she doesn't".

"Do we let child protection take her for now, until we find her mum? Or do we just keep her at the station for a while?" You asked Tina. She sighed. "I don't know, maybe we shouldn't introduce her to too many people at once. I can stay at the station with her" Tina suggested. "Okay, yeah that's a good idea. Are you okay to do that?" Tina nodded.

"You're in charge of homicide, they're gonna need you there, plus you know where she is right?" She whispered. You nodded. "More so than anyone else I suppose. I'm gonna make a quick call" you whispered. Tina nodded and you walked out of the room for a moment. You dialled a number and waited for them to pick up.