Chapter 14

It had been two weeks since Kailey and Luka's... Incident... They hadn't interacted since, not that that was surprising considering the two had barely left their rooms, Luka having moved his stuff back to his original room.

Today was one of the few days that Luka was actually out in the dining room, talking with the brothers. Thankfully they hadn't stopped being kind towards him and things hadn't been too awkward.

"Luka... Have you considered starting to go to school? You are young enough for it, after all..." James asked all of a sudden, tilting his head slightly.

Luka cringed, the only school he knew of was Kailey's school and he couldn't go there because that would be too awkward. He wasn't sure he could handle that pressure just yet. Although, the thought of learning and doing something other than just moping about the house did seem appealing...

"I don't know... Learning would be great and all but I wouldn't know which school to go to... I can't very well go to Kailey and Mika's school, all things considered... Besides from what I've heard, school is overrated," He said, ignoring the boys' slight cringe at the mention of their sister.

"What if she was Ok with it?" Damien asked quietly, watching Luka's reaction intently.

"I doubt she would be... I highly doubt she would be. And even if she was it would be so awkward and I don't know if I could deal with that." Luka said, fighting to keep his face neutral.

Damien simply nodded, turning away and pretending not to notice as Luka dug his nails into his palms, the alternative to cringing.

"Couldn't you just ask her?" Matthew asked, breaking the silence that had fallen.

Everyone turned their attention to Matthew, not noticing Luka's jaw lock and unlock.

"Well, I can't exactly go up to her and say: 'hey Kailey I know we haven't talked at all in two weeks but would it be Ok if I made it even more difficult to avoid each other by attending your school?' now can I?" Luka said, glaring at Matthew.

He shouldn't glare, it's not like Matthew was trying to be an idiot, but he was being very successful at it. Or unsuccessful considering he didn't want to be stupid. Still, he couldn't help but be annoyed at the suggestion.

Especially considering he wasn't even sure he forgave Kailey for what she had said to him... Sure she had her reasons and he wasn't exactly in the right in that whole argument but neither was she. She had been upset and he knew she probably didn't completely mean what she had said but that didn't make it hurt any less.

"Sorry, I probably should've thought that through a bit more..." Matthew muttered, wilting under Luka's glare.

Luka was about to apologise but was stopped by a voice speaking from the doorway.

"You know, there's no need to torment my brothers just because you're pissed off at me..." Kailey murmured, her voice slightly hoarse from lack of use.

She wasn't looking at him, instead pointedly focussing on the floor in front of him, refusing to meet his gaze. He hated that she wouldn't even look at him. Couldn't even look at him if he were being realistic...

"That's not... I'm not trying to torment them, it just slipped out... Matthew, I'm sorry... And Eliana..." He trailed off, unable to find the right words to express how he felt.

Honestly, he couldn't even describe to himself how he was feeling so it was no surprise that he couldn't explain it to Kailey.

She didn't seem to care, hesitating for only a little while before continuing through the dining room to the kitchen, muttering that she was just there to get some water and that she'd be out of their way soon.