SEVEN

SEVEN | THE FLAME OF A FIRE WARLOCK

TUMNUS DIDN'T UNDERSTAND IT!

As much as the faun wanted a rebellion, he couldn't understand why Dolos, the one who aided the witch capture the throne of Narnia, would want to undo it. It made no sense to him, in Tumnus' eyes he had everything. Not only did the warlock have his own magic, a wonderful home and a title that would stop him from any kind of trouble in the future but he had his family too. 

Tumnus didn't understand why he would want to give that up.

"So..." Dolos said as he took a sip of his tea and offered his hand to the faun. "have we got a deal?"

"I just need to know Dolos," Tumnus replied, Dolos retracting his hand as he knew what question was coming. "why?"

"If you keep focusing on why something happened, you'll fail to see the beauty that comes of it."

"I don't understand,"Tumnus muttered to himself as he shook his head. "you were her favourite." 

"Not by choice old friend," Dolos sighed as he looked at the dancing flame and reminisced. "I did what I had to do."

"So that's it? You're on the good side now?"

"The day that you understand that its not about sides or good or bad then the better. All that matters is the path you choose to lead, taking the opportunities you are given." Dolos muttered to him, Tumnus falling to silence at the truth in his words.

"So what now?"

The dreaded question had finally been asked; Dolos chuckled as he took another sip of his tea.

"You choose, do you hand her over to Maugrim or do you accept my deal?" Dolos questioned him intently. "Narnias future is in your hands."

It was rather daunting being told that the fate of a nation was on your shoulders, that a single decision would change the lives of millions of creatures and change the world for the better. Tumnus wanted to believe in Dolos but given his past with the witch he wondered whether he could really believe what was being proposed. What if this was a trick? What if this was the witch just testing her subjects and purging those who disobeyed her? He found it convenient that Dolos turned up the first time he met the daughter of Eve, as if he knew it was going to happen in the first place. He wondered if the witch knew or not.