THREE

CHAPTER THREE | THE DREAM SEQUENCE

"CHILDREN AND EVACUATION STAFF... ATTENTION, WOULD ALL PARENTS ENSURE THAT THEIR CHILDREN HAVE APPROPRIATE IDENTIFICATION PAPERS." 

The Finchley train station had never been busier than it had been that Tuesday morning.

The train station that would typically be empty unless their was an air attack was now heaving with large masses of children, ranging from babies to those in their mid teenage years who all flooded the platforms dressed in their light brown or grey school uniforms with their small suitcases that lugged helplessly behind them, holding the few items they could afford to carry to their homes in the country.

Among those were four children, four siblings who would soon find that their evacuation would lead them to go on the greatest adventure any of them would ever go on - would bring them closer as a family and would allow for them change for the better even if they thought they could never do so. Their names were Peter, Susan Edmund and Lucy and each would soon realise they were worth far more than they had realised.

"You need to keep this on, darling. All right? You warm enough?" Their mother, Helen, wrapped a scarf around Lucy's neck, speaking softly to try and keep her children calm. "Good girl."

"If Dad were here, he wouldn't make us go." The raven haired child, Edmund complained as his mother helped button up his coat, the woman shaking her head at him.

"If Dad were here, it'd mean the war was over and we wouldn't have to go." The oldest of the four, Peter responded to his brother with a sigh as he looked at his mother with a frown.

"You will listen to your brother, won't you Edmund?" Their mother had asked the raven haired boy who nodded with an eye roll before she turned to look at Peter with a serious expression. "Promise me you'll look after the others."

"I will, Mum." Peter promised as he gave her one last hug, trying not to cry as he let go of her and took Lucy's teddy bear out of her hand and handed it to his younger sister.

"Good man." She whispered before she turned to her eldest daughter who was grasping Lucy's hand and sighed. "Susan, be a big girl. All right. Off you go."