𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 42.

Joel's eyes fluttered open. He was laying down on his back on a soft surface when everything that happened hit him.

His head shot to the side, seeing Marlene sitting there in an armchair.

"Welcome to the Fireflies. Sorry 'bout the... they didn't know who you were." She said casually.

"And Makayla?" He asked in panic.

"She's alright. They brought her back."

Finally Joel sighed in relief, laying his head back down.

"You came all this way. How'd you do it?"

Joel just shook his head and cleared his throat, "It was her. She fought like hell to get here."

He slowly and heavily sat up, "Maybe it was meant to be."

Just as he did so Marlene stood up, going to stand next to one of her men.

"I lost most of my crew crossing the country. I pretty much lost everything. And then you show up and somehow we find you just in time to save her. Maybe it was meant to be." She nodded her head, smiling a little.

Joel slowly looked from her to the man standing in the middle of the room,

"Take me to her."

"You don't have to worry about her anymore. We'll take care of-"

"I worry. Just- let me see her please." Joel interrupted her as he stood up.

Marlene stayed quiet for a second before speaking up, "You can't. She's being prepped for surgery."

Joel frowned,

"The hell you mean surgery?!"

"The doctors tell me that the cordyceps, the growth inside her has somehow mutated. It's why she's immune. Once they remove it they will be able reverse engineer a vaccine. A vaccine." She tried to talk him into what she believed in but Joel stood his own,

"But it grows all over the brain."

"It does." She replied quietly, making Joel frown even more,

"Find someone else."

"There is no one else."

Joel took a step towards her as a threat, "Listen you're gonna show me where she-" but the man behind him kicked his legs from behind, making Joel fall on his knees.

"I get it. But whatever you think you're going through right now, is nothing than what I have been through. I knew her since she was little. I promised her mother I would look after her." She stood above him.

"Then why are you letting this happen?!"

"Because this isn't about me! Or even her. There is no other choice here!"

Joel just scoffed and sat back with a groan before he breathed out with as much bitterness, "Yeah... you keep telling yourself that bullshit."

Marlene suspiciously eyed him out,

"Don't tell me there is something between you two."

Joel just looked away with a frown, not denying or confirming it.

Marlene snorted with a serious expression on her face, "Of course."

And added,

"March him outta here. He tries anything, shoot him. Don't waste this gift Joel." She said and left.

Joel was still sitting on the ground with his elbows on his knees after Marlene dissapeared in the hallway.

"Get up." The man approached him but Joel remained still, without looking at him.