ii

Was Boris being bullied?

The topic was so hard to grasp or even believe. Yes, we had been bullied with names. But beaten? The only time I knew where someone hurt Boris was with his father. If they were hurting Boris, why? What did Boris do? If he did anything. And why hadn't he told me? I was still watching him afar since that day with the boys surrounding him at the doorway. I couldn't keep my eyes off him, I couldn't stop watching him, I couldn't stop observing him. I needed to know what was going on. What I did know was that Boris would take his lunch outside—which we weren't allowed to do—and sit with her.

I assumed Boris had made up with Kotku, which was proven to be correct. Now, were they dating again? I thought so. They both shared soft glances, though I could tell lustful and mischievous intentions were hidden carefully beneath them. They shared lunch together, Kotku pulling Boris up by his pale hand.

"Wanna skip? We can finish up." I heard Kotku suggest, her voice deeper, laced with lust.

It was greeted with silence, until I heard a deep breath, "Uh, erm. I think I'll pass. We can see each other after school, yes?"

I pictured Kotku narrowing her eyes with disproval at hearing the disappointing response, "Seriously? This ain't because of Decker, is it?"

Using proper grammar wasn't something Kotku did, and I liked to mock her in my head a lot, but hearing her talk about me, I felt no need to laugh.

"Course not, Kotku." Boris' words came out gentle, no hesitance.

Peeking out from the wall I stood behind, I saw Boris stroking her tan cheek, a red and pink hue strung across them, like a beautiful bouquet of roses, strung in their lovely swirly patterns. It made me shudder, me I quickly turned away, leaving the two to their business.

The rest of the day I spent inside, waiting.

but for what?