Chapter 14

November 1994

"Hermione, who are you going to the ball with?"

Ever since she had announced that she had a date, Ron kept asking her that question.

"I won't tell you, you'd just make fun of me," Hermione merely replied.

"Are you kidding, Wealsey?" exclaimed Draco, suddenly appearing behind them.

He couldn't help but eavesdrop on their conversation.

Something clicked inside of him when he learned that Hermione had a date for the ball, and that date wasn't one between Weasley and Potter.

He was sure she would go to the ball with Potter.  

He couldn't tell where that conviction came from, but it was something so firmly established in his mind that knowing it wouldn't be like that made him feel a strange sense of unease in his stomach.

Who was she going with?  

And why hadn't she told her friends?

He immediately wanted to know more. He needed to know…

"You mean someone invited her to the dance? The fanged mudblood?"

Harry and Ron turned furiously towards him, but Hermione ignored him, merely waving at someone behind his back.

"Good evening Professor Moody," she exclaimed, without sparing him a glance.

Draco turned pale and jumped backwards.   

He turned around: no one was there.  

Moody was sitting at the teacher's table finishing his meal.

"You're a jumpy little ferret, aren't you, Malfoy?" said Hermione dismissively, walking away laughing with her friends.

Salazar, he hated her.  

He hated her with all of his being.  

Most of all, he hated that she ignored him.

She just wasn't the same lately. She wasn't responding to his provocations, his taunts no longer held any weight.

He wasn't okay with that, not at all.  

He didn't want to be ignored.

He wanted to see her scream, he wanted to see her face turn red, he wanted to leave her breathless, he wanted her heart to speed up for him, he wanted to see the fire in her eyes again, with her pupils dilated and her obscene hair scattered all around.

December 25th, 1994

All dressed up, in his black velvet suit and with Pansy clinging to his arm, Draco made his way to the Great Hall.

He was dying of curiosity to find out who Hermione's mysterious date was. Who on earth could have invited her except Potter? That doubt had plagued him for weeks, and now he would finally have an answer.

The fact that she wasn't Potter's date had made him lose sleep. He had always believed that she had a crush on him, or he on her. They were always together, this year more than usual.

Besides, as much as it pained him to admit it, any girl would have wanted to show up at the ball accompanied by a Triwizard champion.

As soon as he came down he saw the two Gryffondors, Potter and Weasley.

He wrapped an arm around Pansy's waist, scanning the entrance to the Great Hall for her… but she wasn't there.

He discovered that the boys' two dates were the Patil twins.