Chapter 23

Hermione woke up nestled against Draco's chest. From the rays of sunlight coming through the window, she deduced that it was well into the day. Despite the more than pleasant feeling of being wrapped in the Slytherin's arms, Hermione Granger was never the sort of person who liked to sleep in.

Given the situation they were in now, lazing around was not a luxury they could afford.

Unable to find the courage to part from his firm embrace, however, she closed her eyes, mentally organizing the stressful day ahead of them.
They would have to apparate in Hogsmeade, possibly in the evening, in order to go unnoticed. After that they would walk to Hogwarts and talk to Mcgonagall. 

The night before Draco had said that Dr. Niewald and his accomplices had been arrested, but the instigator behind them all had gone unpunished.

She looked at the sleeping face that lay beside her.
How does one feel going against his own father? 

She would have to talk to him about that before talking to the headmistress.

About that and about what was going to happen the night he had saved her. 

She had invited him to bite her, she wanted him to do it.
Yet he hadn't.
It shouldn't have been easy for him to resist, yet he did.

Why didn't he want to bond with her?

***

Draco opened his eyes, snapping to his feet as soon as he realized Hermione wasn't lying in the bed next to him.
A strong smell of coffee flooded his nostrils and, not bothering to get dressed, he followed the source of that aroma.

The coffee pot nearly fell out of Hermione's hands as her eyes caught the image of the young man in boxers in front of her.

He looked even better in the sunlight.

Draco rejoiced at the blush that suddenly appeared on the girl's cheeks, watching her eyes quickly run down his body and then focus elsewhere just as quickly.

With trembling hands, Hermione filled two cups of steaming coffee, handing one to him. They sat at opposite ends of the small kitchen table, silently sipping the drink.

This was a good moment to talk, she thought, unable to find the words for what she wanted to say. The whole 'biting' thing was making her nervous.
She felt aroused just thinking about it, and the fact that Draco was sitting before her wearing only a tight pair of boxers certainly didn't help. 

"The night you saved me-" she began tentatively.

 Draco stood up. "I didn't save you Hermione, don't treat me like a hero."

The girl motioned for him not to interrupt her and, though with a displeased look on his face, Draco sat back down, sparing Hermione the sight of his morning erection. 

Hermione took a deep breath, trying to remove that image and focus on what she needed to say. "That night," she began again, trying to keep a steady voice that didn't betray the accelerated beating of her heart, "when you came back, after we-" she lowered her gaze, "why didn't you-" she hesitated for a moment, after which she gathered her courage, deciding to just ask. 

Draco clenched his fists under the table. Hermione's attitude was starting to make him nervous, and he feared what she was about to ask.

"Why didn't you bite me?" She finally asked.

His mouth opened wide and his eyes squinted. 

Hermione immediately regretted that question. Maybe she shouldn't have asked.