Chapter 20

"You have to do it, Malfoy," Pansy shouted behind his back, struggling to keep up with his long strides down the hallway.

Draco ignored her, walking out the front door and into the courtyard, breathing in the fresh air.

His friends joined him after a few seconds. Again, Pansy was the only one to speak.

"Why aren't you happy? " she wheezed. "You wanted to bite her from the beginning, that's clear. And apparently that's exactly what she needs."

Draco remained motionless, staring at the calm waters of the black lake. "I won't" he replied dryly.

"What do you mean you won't?" yelled Pansy. "They can't do anything to her if you bite her. Did you hear that? Don't you want to ruin Lucius' plan?"

Draco turned his head slightly towards her. "I want to ruin my father's plans, not Hermione's life," he said, walking away.

He spent the next few days alone, counting the minutes until his return to the Manor. Time seemed to slip from his hands as he mentally prepared for his return home, but it also seemed to never pass when he thought of Hermione and how much it hurt to be away from her.

At the end of each class he would take refuge in the large courtyard, breathing in the fresh air and occluding.

That afternoon he was contemplating the calm waters of the black lake, imagining his own emotions as small stones slipping into it.

"Draco."

He turned around. His shoulders relaxed as he noticed that it was Theo who had called him.

The boy joined him, sitting down next to him on the shore of the lake.  

They stood in silence for a few seconds, enjoying the gentle rays of sunshine and the cool December air.

"I want to tell you that I understand," he sighed. "And I admire it."

"What?"

"The reason why you don't want to bite her."

Draco lowered his gaze. He tightened his lips into a thin line.

Theo spoke again. "But you have to choose, would you rather save her from Lucius or from yourself?"

"I can save her from both of us."

"This situation is bigger than you, Draco."

A muscle in Draco's neck tensed.  
"I have everything under control. And if things go wrong, I'll talk to the headmistress."

"And what will you tell her?"

Draco stared at his own sweaty palms. "The truth, about my father, about Magnus."

Theo threw a stone at the surface of the lake, waiting for it to finish bouncing before answering. "And would she believe you? Would she believe someone like us? Like you?" he stood up.  

"You're going to have to choose the lesser of the two evils if you want to protect her," he shrugged the grass off his pants.

"And we both know that's you" he concluded, walking away in the direction he had come from.

"I'm not sure," Draco muttered to himself.

---

December 22th

His trunk weighed like a boulder as he dragged it onto the train. All around him he could see smiling faces, hugs, eyes shining with excitement.

But inside he felt an emptiness, deep and tearing.