Chapter 22

His body felt as alive as ever. His senses were in ecstasy.

Hermione was sleeping against his chest. The night was quiet and still, the sound of her breaths intertwined with the waves of the sea crashing on the cliff. He stroked her shaggy hair, so extraordinarily soft.

He had often imagined what it would be like to sink his fingers into that messy mass of curls, but he had never thought they could be so soft. It had been a pleasant surprise, along with so many other things.

His heart was still beating rapidly. Although he had lost control, he hadn't bitten her.

He couldn't do that to her after what she'd been through.  

It wasn't what she really wanted, he kept telling himself. And how could he look at himself in the mirror knowing he had permanently marked her, against her will, forcing her to be bound to him forever.

The fact that she had invited him to do it had only been an effect of the hormones, the fear, the trauma she had experienced.

If she had really wanted it…  

No, he didn't want to fool herself.

Probably once regained her lucidity she would change her mind, maybe she would have even thank him for not biting her.  

Or maybe she would run away terrified.

But in the meantime he could enjoy her presence, at least for a few more days.

He had no idea about how much time had actually passed since her heat started.  

That would certainly affect the time he had left to spend with her.

He remembered what he had admitted to himself, and out loud, the night before: there was no difference to him now.

Whether she was Hermione Granger or his omega was not important. He just loved her. It was a feeling so deep and visceral that he couldn't, and wouldn't, believe it was just due to hormones.

No, it wasn't.

The change of the last period had only accentuated a feeling that had been slowly consolidating over the years. And when all the social impositions and the castles of false beliefs he'd grown up on had crumbled, he'd finally recognized her for what she really was: a brilliant, intelligent, beautiful, fucking sexy witch.  

Even ruthless if necessary, something that had haunted him ever since that slap on the third year.

That's how he spent that night: tormenting himself in fear of losing her, admitting his feelings to himself, breathing in Hermione's scent and caressing her skin.

---

When the sun slowly began to rise, Hermione slowly opened her eyes, remaining enchanted to contemplate the diaphanous skin of the young man illuminated by the dawn's light.

If it wasn't for that SectumSempra scar on his chest, she wouldn't have believed he was real.  
Such a level of perfection was not humanly possible. His body, the features of his face, his silver eyes and slinky, smooth, snow-white hair: it was magical.  

Their eyes met and, for a few seconds, they simply stared at each other.

But deep down they both knew that this platonic moment wouldn't last long. The air all around them was electrified by their respective magic, joining in a dance whenever their bodies brushed against each other.

It wasn't just physicality, not anymore. There was so much more.

They spent the next forty-eight hours after Christmas Eve like this, losing themselves in each other's bodies.