Chapter 18

"I can't believe it," Pansy laughed hysterically, looking towards Hermione. "Just when I thought I couldn't hate you any more."

Hermione stood still, in shock, partially hidden behind Draco's body.

Pansy turned her back on them and started to walk away quickly, indignant and stymied. Blaise took one last look at Draco and Hermione before turning and following her.

Hermione realized, inhaling now at the top of her lungs, that she had been holding her breath throughout the duration of the brief confrontation.  

She opened her mouth to speak, but no words escaped from it. Her mind started projecting image after image of what would happen if Pansy Parkinson leaked that she was an omega.

She wasn't ready yet. She hadn't yet discovered the truth about herself, she didn't  know anything about what was happening to her. If the magical world get to know about this now, she would become a freak.

Draco placed his hands on her shoulders, forcing her to look into his eyes. That simple touch calmed her.

She tried to get her thoughts in order. "I don't want anyone to know," she gasped, lowering her gaze. "I'm not ready, not yet…"

Draco nodded, "No one will know, Hermione. I'll take care of it."

After that he pulled her into his arms, giving her a kiss on the forehead before walking away, chasing after Pansy and Blaise.

Hermione stood there for a few more seconds. That gesture etched into her mind and her skin.

Draco pulled away, mentally admonishing himself for that rash gesture, and started walking as fast as he could in hopes that Hermione wouldn't see his suddenly blushing cheeks.  

What had gotten into him? He had lost control, but in a different way this time. He hadn't thought before acting. It had simply been natural and spontaneous.  

Now the smell of her hair would linger long under his nostrils, along with the memory of the way her small body lay perfectly between his shoulders and chin. As irrational and inexplicable as it was, it felt like their bodies had been specially forged for each other.  

They fit together perfectly under all circumstances, as if they were one.

He advanced toward the entrance to the courtyard, in the same direction he had come from, finding the two Slytherins hidden behind one of the columns of the porch.

"What's going on here?" the blond asked abruptly. Blaise backed away as soon as Draco came close.  

Pansy instead glowered at him.

"We should be the ones asking you," she blurted out.

Draco flicked his gaze between the girl and Blaise, who was a few feet away and glaring at him.

"We?" he asked, raising an eyebrow in defiance.

"Yes," Pansy exclaimed, standing up on her toes and stepping forward so that she had Draco's eyes on her again, forcing him to look away from Blaise.  

"Did she do something to you, Draco?" the girl asked, scanning his face with a mock apprehensive air. "What were you thinking? Do you realize what you've gotten yourself into? What about your parents? It's a permanent thing."

Her tone of voice grew louder and louder, and her proximity bothered his nostrils by the sour smell of her perfume.

"What are you talking about?" 

"You bit her, Draco," blurted Pansy. "And don't think I don't know what that means," she pointed a finger at him. "You, stupi-"

"I didn't bite her," he suddenly replied, surprising even himself by the force with which that statement left his mouth. He tried to compose himself, pretending to cough against his own hand.