The Injury

It was dark by the time they made it back to camp. Bill had to stop several times, even with Dipper practically carrying him, the pain was almost too much for Bill to handle, despite him constantly reassuring Dipper that he was okay.

Dipper helped Bill into their makeshift tent, giving Bill his hoodie to wear, as well as some of the food they had gathered throughout the day.

"No...'m fine Pinetree, really." Bill said, when Dipper insisted he eat more.

"No, you're not fine Bill. I you have a six inch gash in your leg. Eat. Or I swear to god I'll shove it down your throat." Dipper insisted, pushing the food towards Bill.

Bill noted the seemingly stern look on Dipper's face and frowned. He took the food from Dipper without further complaint and ate.

Once he was done, he didn't protest as Dipper made him drink the last of the coconut water they had.

"I'm going to get some firewood." Dipper said, standing up suddenly.

"Don't wander off too far." Bill said. Dipper didn't say a word as he walked into the trees.

Bill frowned again, watching Dipper walk away.

He leaned against a the tree their makeshift tent was built around, looking down at his injured leg.

Bill had to admit, he felt pretty stupid, injuring himself, even after Dipper's warning that the rocks were slippery. He knew Dipper was upset with him, that much was obvious by the way Dipper had been acting towards him since they got back to camp.

Bill wanted to slam his head against the tree repeatedly, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid! But he refrained, as he didn't want Dipper to see him break down. He had to make Dipper believe they had some hope of rescue, or at the very least, he had to convince Dipper that he believed they had some hope of rescue, despite the fact that Bill had given up from the moment they had awoken on the island's shore.

Bill felt a single tear run down his cheek. While he was fine with dying here, dying young, dying without saying goodbye to anyone he knew before the cruise, Bill knew he had to keep going. He couldn't die while Dipper was here with him. He had to keep going for Dipper.

Bill quickly wiped the tear away when he heard Dipper coming back with the firewood.

Dipper sat down next to their fire pit and began to build a fire.

"Pinetree?" Bill said.

"Hm?"

"Are you...mad at me?" Bill asked slowly.

Dipper was silent for a moment.

"No Bill, I'm not mad at you...I'm just...we're going to die here aren't we?" Dipper said, his voice sounding defeated.

Bill was glad Dipper wasn't looking at him, he knew his face only showed agreement to that statement.

"No Pinetree. We're not going to die here, that's a promise. I won't give up." Bill said, glad his voice came out more confident than he was feeling.

Dipper just sighed.

"If you say so. Wouldn't it just be easier to accept the fact that we're stuck here?" Dipper said quietly.

So much easier Pinetree, but I can't give up, it's my fault we're in this mess, it's my fault we're going to die out here, I'll keep going. For you. Bill thought.

"We can't give up hope. They have to still be looking for us." Bill said.

"Who are you trying to convince?" Dipper said softly. It broke Bill's heart to see that Dipper had already given up, though Bill was on the same boat as Dipper. He had already given up on a rescue, but that didn't mean he would stop trying to stay positive for Dipper.

Dipper stood up as the fire began to come to life, brushing the dirt from his pants.

"You should get some sleep." Dipper said quietly. Bill nodded.

"Pinetree?" Bill called out softly. Dipper looked over at Bill and their eyes met.

"Would you...lay with me...at least until I fall asleep?" Bill asked so quiet, he wasn't sure Dipper heard him.

Dipper's face softened.

"Sure Bill." Dipper replied. Bill gave Dipper a pained smile and scooted over so there was room in the makeshift tent.

Bill cuddled up to Dipper, laying his head on Dipper's chest, trying to cover as much of Dipper's chest with his own body as Dipper had sacrificed his shirt to wrap up Bill's leg as well as sacrificing his hoodie to keep Bill warm.

Bill leaned up and planted a small kiss on Dipper's cheek.

"Night Pinetree."

"Good night Bill."

_________________

Short chapter, I know, but my new job has been keeping me busy. Gonna try and get another chapter out tonight though.